US breed asian arowanas

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
It is my understanding that they can only breed in certain parts of the world due to something relating to magnetism with the earth and it’s near impossible to breed them out of those places.

I could be wrong on that.
you are indeed wrong :) They can be bred almost anywhere as long as the aros are conditioned and their basic needs are met (magnetism is not one of their needs)

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Hendre Hendre Aros in the states prior to the ban was grandfathered as okay to not be illegal. Hypothetically speaking, if they were to have bred are their frys illegal?

If you're blanketly saying all Asian aros as illegal but agree that grandfather Asians are okay...what about their offspring?

***Just as an FYI, Asians have bred and hobbyist are breeding them in tanks.
This is the part that gets really tricky... there are many reptiles who are listed as CITES animals but can be bred and sold within the breeding state. If they are sold pass state lines a permit is required. There should not be a double standard for fish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
you are indeed wrong :) They can be bred almost anywhere as long as the aros are conditioned and their basic needs are met (magnetism is not one of their needs)
Thank you for correcting me on that.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
It is my understanding that they can only breed in certain parts of the world due to something relating to magnetism with the earth
I have heard that too, a long time ago, and was told that you gotta be in a place near the equator. But this isn't true since I personally even know someone that breeds them far away from the equator here in Switzerland. It's just super hard to get them breeding in a tank, even in Malaysia/Indonesia where they're originally from. Very little people all around the world have success breeding them in tanks. They need big muddy ponds to breed and good luck having them outside in a pond somewhere in Canada/Europe (for example) where the temperatures would be good enough for maybe a month at best.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I'm in an interested but somewhat unenthusiastic (IE: we're all busy) conversation with a fellow at the University & Fisheries Div. about importing to breed for export. This would be for the Canadian & European markets; a US market would be fantastic, but not holding our breath.

The magnetism thing is interesting, but also sounds a lot like a market/competition porkie-pie.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm in an interested but somewhat unenthusiastic (IE: we're all busy) conversation with a fellow at the University & Fisheries Div. about importing to breed for export. This would be for the Canadian & European markets; a US market would be fantastic, but not holding our breath.

The magnetism thing is interesting, but also sounds a lot like a market/competition porkie-pie.
Actually interested to see how they would fare elsewhere in the world. What exactly is the Jamaican climate like?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Actually interested to see how they would fare elsewhere in the world. What exactly is the Jamaican climate like?
Think south Florida but vaguely warmer & temperature spikes are buffered by the sea. IE: toasty, but not roasting... unless it's really still. Maybe think of Bali, as they've got that cold-water current. Silvers are regular imports & do fine in unheated tanks &/or ponds, though as Amazonians they're likely tolerant. Iridescent sharks also do well in ponds, which may be a better example re. temperature & size. Clown loaches (Burmese) slow down over those very coldest nights, but are otherwise fine.

Specifics: down by the coast the coldest would be 22C in the worst winter storm (normally not less than 27 these days) & a reasonably continuous 36C-ish through the summer. In the hills it's appreciably cooler if that's necessary - I'm at 1600' and 14C in coldest of winter, rarely above 32 in depths of summer. Could run the whole thing on rainwater in several places, or tag to a river if hardness of spring-water is an issue.

Issues would be similar to those of tilapia & basa aquaculture, including high fuel/electricity costs & theft (for the dinner-table), as may be mitigated thorough programmatic design & location as quantities/areas would be small relative to food-production. Also osprey & heron (spp various); osprey tend to be seasonal. Crocodile, too, which might be lumped under "theft prevention" with fencing/security, maybe a loudmouth Caribbean Terrier (AKA semi-feral brown-dog) or twelve - also good for shore/wading birds. You'd need back-up generators & hurricane insurance.

Silvers are regularly imported, a load of Jardini came in maybe 10yrs ago and CITES permits are (usually) a matter of paperwork, particularly captive-bred animals that would be coming through London, Germany or Toronto.

Awaiting billionaire investor :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store