Used Acrylic Tank

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
It pulls water and debris up from the bottom and overflows down the stand pipe. The top slots provide some surface skimming while the majority of the water is pulled from the bottom of the tank.
Thanks, and I hope you don't mind, but I have some additional questions. I am guessing this is intended for bare bottom tanks, but if I surround the weir with some black blasting sand, would it act like an underground filter? How far would the mineralized topsoil need to be from that suction to prevent the tank from turning black? My plan has been to run a pressurized co2 planted tank, with the plants and deep substrate providing most biological filtration. The sump is going to be filled with lots of pot scrubbers and filter pads to polish the water.

The other option I have is to remake the weir, sort of. I will cut new teeth on a clean piece of acrylic sized to match the existing weir, then cut the top of the existing weir out and weld the new piece to the old weir that remains. This will add suction at the top and eliminate it from the bottom.

Does that sound crazy? I have most of the weekend to decide as I still need to buff this sucker first.

Thanks in Advance,

Todd

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
If the intent is to do a dirted tank then yes you would need to remake the weir. You are most likely correct about the intent of a bare bottom tank with this design.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
So we are thinking about changing direction a little. Might go bare bottom with potted plants. I see this with Discuss, so I assume it would be good for rainbows too.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
So I started sanding the back panel today. After 2 hours, I haven't made much if a dent in this paint job. It is so thick it rolls up like plaster. I am wet sanding at 400 grit, but I am thinking this is so thick I could use 150 or 180 until it is a lot thinner, and then go back to 400 until the paint is gone.

Anyone else experience this? I might leave the bottom as is, because this will take a week and a ton of sandpaper.

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Spent most of today working on the tank. Got all the paint off if the 2 small sides, and the back panel. The bottom is proving tough too. This paint was so thick, I swear he just poured it.
IMG_20200620_183712.jpg
IMG_20200620_183708.jpgIMG_20200620_183712.jpg

IMG_20200620_183705.jpg

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
So I discovered why the tank was a cheap as it was. Inside the weir overflow box, there is a crack that goes all the way through the acrylic. It is about 3 inches long starting from the top edge and going down. Is there a way to fix this, or am I looking to sell it as a tank as viewing panels to be harvested?

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Been doing a little research, and this is what I found. The crack is a perfect fit. I didn't even notice it until I twisted the tank a little and it popped up. So here is the plan...

I am looking for Weld On 4 with a syringe applicator and I will fill the crack. In addition, I have some 1/4" acrylic left over from making my sump, and I will cover the crack from the inside of the tank (All of this is inside the weir, and can only be seen from the side view, and I can live with that). As I mentioned, the crack goes from the top, down maybe 3-4" and if Weld On creates a new chemical bond, plus the patch, do you think it will work?

Thanks in Advance

Todd

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Here are pictures of the crack. It is closer to 8" long.IMG_20200623_095932.jpg

IMG_20200623_095910.jpg

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com