Used large aquarium need opinions

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
I found what I was told was a 315 gallon tank.
When I went to see in person it measured
L6x W3 xH2. It was short one foot in the length so it’s only 270 gallons instead of 315.
It has what appears to be euro bracing on the top as well as inside at the bottom of the tank (is this normal, it also has been drilled a good 7 times (used to be a reef tank). My main concern is the current owner never had any water in it. He said the seems needed to be redone and he started taking out the silicone. With all the euro bracing at the top and inside bottom how the heck do you redo the seems? Do you cut out all the euro bracing try to get all that silicone off of everywhere and re apply? Seems like it would be extremely difficult. If I redo seems without touching euro bracing are the seems compromised? 270 gallons is a heck of a lot of water and if things go badly it would destroy he basement... here is also a decent chip in the bottom right corner pictures below.

Bothered me a bit that he was objecting on me measuring, when I said I needed to know if the stand and tank would fit in a rental truck he eased up, as soon as I said it’s a foot short he New the exact volume that it was short. Felt like he was trying to pull a fast one.
Should I just walk away from this ? Is it too big a risk? Really wanted a big tank...9C188DEA-D6BE-48FE-8998-D4D4246C1F40.jpegE30CD6AE-7FF4-447B-B48B-743E95F68942.jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Sounds sketchy af. If you aren’t getting a really good price because of all the work you will need to put into it, you may want to walk.

If you don’t feel competent or know someone who is at re working the tank- it’s not worth the headache. Imo

Reactions: PKPuffer

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Sounds sketchy af. If you aren’t getting a really good price because of all the work you will need to put into it, you may want to walk.

If you don’t feel competent or know someone who is at re working the tank- it’s not worth the headache. Imo
Now asking $325 for tank and stand. Dropped $50 after I said it was 6 feet long.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Says free

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I would walk away, it seems a bit too dodgy to me. You don't want anything going wrong with that much water in it.
Another big tank will come along sooner or later, I would be patient and wait for something better if it was me.

Reactions: PKPuffer

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Sounds like a bit of a charlatan to me. It states quite clearly "FREE" in the ad. So you go down there and all of a sudden he wants $375 for it! Then on realisation that it's not as big as he thought he then dropped the price to $325, begrudgingly at that because he didn't want you near the thing with a tape measure.

I'd certainly question him about the original "FREE" offer. If he does let it go for nothing after realising he's been a bit of a knob, then it's certainly worth the hard work of resealing it, after all 6x3 is a great footprint.

If he insists on back tracking and demands $325 for it then walk. Not worth the hassle and something better could be just round the corner.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I feel like i saw this exact tank on here not long ago, with somebody asking about resealing it around those odd bottom panels of glass. I just dont understand why they would line the bottom edges with strips of glass.

Yeah that thing looks like a pita. I would wait them out and make a lowball offer later. Just a couple of the glass panels off it could be worth $50.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store