using a saltwater sump

Richemmers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
Clinton township.mi
Has anyone ever used a saltwater sump for freshwater. Im switching back over to freshwater and I was hoping to use the sump I have now. The first chamber is where the skimmer sits( I will be removing it), then the return pump and then in the last chamber is the fuge

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Has anyone ever used a saltwater sump for freshwater. Im switching back over to freshwater and I was hoping to use the sump I have now. The first chamber is where the skimmer sits( I will be removing it), then the return pump and then in the last chamber is the fuge

You should have no problem using it for Freshwater. Just rinse everything of salt or soak a little if you want.

Richemmers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
Clinton township.mi
Well my sump has 3 chambers, the first is where the skimmer is, then the middle was where the return pump is and then the third is where the fuge is. I have a pump sending water from the skimmer area to the fuge area and that water flows into the return pump area along with the water from the skimmer area. So with that being said, what can I put in the skimmer area that will help with filtration? I'm thinking lava rocks as they sink, but I don't have any thing for mechanical filtration. I was thinking of running my carbon reactor to help polish the water but again the mechanical is where im stuck at

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've used lava rock for over 30 years as biological media.
For mechanical filter socks, matts, even pot scrubbies work

When you say skimmer, do mean protein skimmer (fractionation)?
I use fractionation in fresh water tanks, but if the pump doesn't create enough agitation at the air water interface, it won't foam in less dense fresh water (compared to salt).
Here is a video of bio-fractionation on a freshwater koi pond, I had in Milwaukee. I used smaller versions for tanks (its pic)
koi pond fractionation
As for the refugiums, I also use those those in fresh water, but planting them, and stocking with cherry shrimp, gammarus, fish fry and other min-animals.

Richemmers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
Clinton township.mi
I've used lava rock for over 30 years as biological media.
For mechanical filter socks, matts, even pot scrubbies work

When you say skimmer, do mean protein skimmer (fractionation)?
I use fractionation in fresh water tanks, but if the pump doesn't create enough agitation at the air water interface, it won't foam in less dense fresh water (compared to salt).
Here is a video of bio-fractionation on a freshwater koi pond, I had in Milwaukee. I used smaller versions for tanks (its pic)
koi pond fractionation
As for the refugiums, I also use those those in fresh water, but planting them, and stocking with cherry shrimp, gammarus, fish fry and other min-animals.

Thats a slick idea, I could put something in the first chamber ( where the skimmer used to be) and fill it will lava rock

Reactions: tlindsey

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thats a slick idea, I could put something in the first chamber ( where the skimmer used to be) and fill it will lava rock
A sump is just a vessel for water. The only difference IME is that they don't make good K1 style sumps unless baffles are added. Excellent for ceramic or other submerged media though.

Another great alternative is clay grow media for indoor gardening. 55lb bags for $19. Filling a sump with bio that is easy on the hands to move around and clean for $20 is pretty hard to beat.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I agree with what everybody else said, but it sounds like a strange sump set up. I'd like to see pics please as detailed as possible. Seems a waste to send part of the pump water to another part of the sump when you should be able to put the pump in the last section to draw the water through the rest of the sump. It seems very inefficient to do it anyother way, and that well may be the case. I bet we could modify it though to work better fairly easiley.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store