vegan food for mbuna

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I feed NLS AlgaeMax to my herbivores, as well as my non herbivores.

AlgaeMAX pellet contains a diverse range of aquatic vegetation including a whopping 9 types of algae and seaweed.
  • Ingredients. Algae; Chlorella, Ulva Seaweed, Red Seaweed, Kelp, Spirulina, Wakame Seaweed, Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Eucheuma cottonii, Spinosum Seaweed, Chondrus crispus, Whole Wheat Flour, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Alfalfa, Astaxanthin, Capsanthin, Zeaxanthin, Vitamins, etc
  • Analysis. 32% Protein. 5% Fat
https://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-AlgaeMAX-Enhanced/dp/B00SBKXG34

In nature, mbuna do not just eat algae, and they are not vegans. lol
And for that reason I would never feed a food such as that Repashy formula, certainly not as the sole diet of a fish.

In the wild, the cichlids found in the Rift Lakes have evolved & adapted to living in certain niches of the lake, which over time has forced them to become specialized feeders. (as per Ad Konings) Yet all of these specialized feeders will readily eat anything that's available. (as per Ad Konings) While a fish classified as a strict herbivore (such as a Tropheus moorii) may indeed spend its entire day scraping the aufwuchs, I can assure you that they would much rather eat a handful of worms if given the opportunity. In the wild they eat low quality foods because that's the only foods available, not because they choose to!

And while Tropheus and various Mbuna species may in fact be classified by the scientific community as strict herbivores, the reality is that even though algae dominates the stomach contents, the actual foods that make them grow are insect nymphs and larvae, crustaceans, snails, mites, micro-organisms, and zoo plankton, not vegetable matter. (as per Ad Konings)

Their long digestive tracts are designed as such so that in nature they can break down the complex plant matter that they consume, which doesn't mean that they can't properly assimilate more easily digestible forms of protein. Apparently this is a concept that some hobbyists fail to grasp.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of fish are opportunistic feeders, and are all omnivorous to a certain extent. Cichlids classified as carnivores don't just eat meat, any more than a herbivorous cichlid just consumes vegetable matter.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

Johnnyracer72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2018
I use Northfin Veggie formula granules and Northfin Cichlid formula granules. My fish are happy, healthy and huge. Twice a month I put in a slice of zucchini that they devour within a few hours.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, with RD that plenty of micro-animals are eaten along with the algae.
I have used Repsahy products (although not the vegan) and they have been taken well by my fish.
After cooking, I pour it on lava rock and let it set in the fridge, when it has adhered to the rock, and cooled, then drop the lava rock in the tank, and the grazers pick it off, as they would in nature

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The issue that I have with this Repashy formula is, while it starts off with 2 aquatic based plant ingredients, after that it immediately turns into a long list of terrestrial based plant matter, food stuffs that most algivores (certainly those found in the Rift Lakes, such as shown on this package) would encounter, let alone eat, in the wild. Peas, Rice, Alfalfa, more Rice, Dandelion, Coconut, Flaxseed, Stinging Nettle.

The algivorous species of fish found in Lake Malawi and/or Lake Tanganyika, tend to target specific types of aquatic plant matter, depending on their specific feeding niche - which is nothing remotely close to eating rice, peas, dandelion, alfalfa, coconut, flaxseed, etc.

Compare the ingredients below, with the NLS AlgaeMax ingredients posted above, or for that matter, against any/all fish foods marketed for herbivores. IMO nothing comes remotely close to the NLS AlgaeMax.

Repashy Super Green Vegan Algae Gel Premix

INGREDIENTS: Spirulina Algae, Algae Meal (Chlorella), Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Alfalfa Leaf Powder, Stabalized Rice Bran, Dandelion Powder, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Coconut Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Schizochytrium Algae, Dried Seaweed Meal, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Lecithin, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, vitamins and minerals.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 35%, Crude Fat min. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%.

Also keep in mind that the Repashy, like all gel mixes requires adding approx. 75% water to their dry powder, and then nuking in a microwave, or bringing to a boil on the stove. After adding water, and boiling, the "guaranteed" analysis quickly becomes a thing of the past. The final formula now consists mostly of water, which is a non nutrient that offers no nutritional value to the diet of a fish. Most people forget that when they are feeding gel mixes, no matter the brand, including the NLS gel mix. So now figure out the true analysis of that food, once the water has been added. The crude protein and fat % drops way down, and the moisture content goes way up. Even still, if I was insistant on feeding a gel, I would feed the NLS Algae gel due to the wide variety of aquatic based plant matter in their formula. .

I prefer more nutrient dense pellets when feeding the vast majority of algivores, including mbuna that fall under this classification. When it comes to herbivores, especially algivores I also prefer to cover a wide variety of aquatic based plant matter in the food as in the wild most freshwater as well as marine species tend to seek out and consume very specific types of plant matter, be it diatoms (Tropheus brichardi) green algae such as Cladophora (Tropheus moorii), or the filamentous green algae Mougeotia preferred by adult O. lidole in Lake Malawi. The fish in the Rift Lakes are no different than various marine fish that for whatever reason (nutrient content or availability) consume specific algae, some preferring red algae over brown, or green.

IMO this is where NLS truly outcompetes all other herbivorous formulas, that typically use only kelp and/or spirulina in their food.

Reactions: imabot

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The issue that I have with this Repashy formula is, while it starts off with 2 aquatic based plant ingredients, after that it immediately turns into a long list of terrestrial based plant matter, food stuffs that most algivores (certainly those found in the Rift Lakes, such as shown on this package) would encounter, let alone eat, in the wild. Peas, Rice, Alfalfa, more Rice, Dandelion, Coconut, Flaxseed, Stinging Nettle.
I assume you meant ' most algivores .... would NOT encounter' correct?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store