very confused

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
Someone please shed some light on this for me .The first picture is my fish which was listed as a 2cm crenicichla rergani tapajos this is definitely a juvenile but is over 4 inches there are some markings on the top of its head similar to the picture I got off google I think is a strigata or a venezuela sp let me know what you think was trying to get a shot from above to show the markings on the top of its head but as soon as it sees me it swims to the surface begging for food and wont keep still

20211114_185242.jpg

Strigata-Pike-Cichlid.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Someone please shed some light on this for me .The first picture is my fish which was listed as a 2cm crenicichla rergani tapajos this is definitely a juvenile but is over 4 inches there are some markings on the top of its head similar to the picture I got off google I think is a strigata or a venezuela sp let me know what you think was trying to get a shot from above to show the markings on the top of its head but as soon as it sees me it swims to the surface begging for food and wont keep still

View attachment 1479347

View attachment 1479348
I believe your assumption is correct but will let others chime in.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Leaning toward sp Venezuela

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
yes in the week I have had it the markings especially on the head got me thinking I managed to get some clearer shots of the head area the annoying thing is when they advertised these fish online the copy and paste the fish from an internet photo and not the actual photo of the fish I will be having words with the seller tomorrow

20211121_204433.jpg

20211121_204444.jpg

20211121_204451.jpg

Reactions: Bbuckley

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
No doubt part of the lugubris family of pikes. These are the big boys. All juvenile crenicichla of the lugubris family have those dots and lines.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I am no expert on these but it is about 4.5 inches plus looking at it you can tell it is a juvenile and that it going to be a good size adult fish. Contacted the online store who sold it to me and they said it may have been mistaken for an adult regani but an adult regani would have a fuller body . For now I had to move all the fish out of my 450 liter and spread them around my other tanks and put the pike in there . there is a large bumble bee catfis in there who has been chasing the pike but i guess it is a matter of time before the tables turn and I have to remove the catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store