very high nitrate level...

danjo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2006
LA
hi i'm experiencing high nitrate levels in my 60 gallon tank. approx. 80ppm. i have 3 archer fish, 6 clown loaches, 1 frontosa, and 7 new guinea datnoids(all less than 4 inches in size) i've started putting plants in the tank such as amazon sword, some other t ype of sword, jungle val, 1 java fern, some anubias, and a few others...is there anything i can do physically that will lower the nitrate levels in my tank???i also have a 10 gallon tank with shrimp and guppies and slightly planted that has a nitrate level of 40ppm...my city tap water is give or take 20 ppm...this is also true for my other 60 gallon with bichirs and an arowana which read at about 80ppm as well(this tank only has few anubias...so my main question is if there is any type of chemical or such application that i can apply to this tank to lower the nitrate levels???the ammonia and nitrite read at 0ppm and the tanks, other than the 10 gallon, have been running for over a year...the 60 with datnoids has a fluval FX5 which was more recently added a little over a month ago...i'd appreciate any tips thanks

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
danjo;553981; said:
hi i'm experiencing high nitrate levels in my 60 gallon tank. approx. 80ppm. i have 3 archer fish, 6 clown loaches, 1 frontosa, and 7 new guinea datnoids(all less than 4 inches in size) i've started putting plants in the tank such as amazon sword, some other t ype of sword, jungle val, 1 java fern, some anubias, and a few others...is there anything i can do physically that will lower the nitrate levels in my tank???i also have a 10 gallon tank with shrimp and guppies and slightly planted that has a nitrate level of 40ppm...my city tap water is give or take 20 ppm...this is also true for my other 60 gallon with bichirs and an arowana which read at about 80ppm as well(this tank only has few anubias...so my main question is if there is any type of chemical or such application that i can apply to this tank to lower the nitrate levels???the ammonia and nitrite read at 0ppm and the tanks, other than the 10 gallon, have been running for over a year...the 60 with datnoids has a fluval FX5 which was more recently added a little over a month ago...i'd appreciate any tips thanks
Water changes, water changes and more water changes. Thats the best way.

Never add chemicals to the water. A properly maintained tank should not need them.

When you vacuume the gravel, make sure to get underneath decor in case there are any pockets of crap that have been illuding you. These will cause nitrates to rise a lot if not removed. Under decor, in the corners, and check your filters to make sure they arent clogged with sludge.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
lower your stocking level, and increase water changes. I wont go off on tank size, because I'm assuming that you're aware of them being too small:)

Go change that water!;)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Purigen works great, but you do not want purigen and plants to be in the same tank. Search for purigen on the site, you'll find a few hits. It's great stuff, but still will not replace regular water changes.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Purigen is a polymer that is very effective at removing nitrates. Use the search tool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store