Video - My baby Fahaka and Bichir eating :)

ARKproject

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018

Most of his diet has been crayfish and apple snails but he does love Bloodworms :)

Also, I understand that most say Fahaka need to be kept by themselves.
So far my Fahaka has been housed with a Senegal Bichir and a Leopard Bush Fish. No issues so far (although the Fahaka is still young).
If I notice any extreme aggression or damage, I would remove the Bichir and Leopard Bush Fish. That being said, the tank belongs to the Fahaka and if either of the fish end up a meal, I'm ok with it.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
nice tank man, puffer fish are (in my experience) very rewarding fish, they are very personable, the only problem is keeping their beak down. If possible, try adding in some frozen clams, they would be cheaper and easier to get than crayfish (usually unless you breed crayfish or something), I think adding in some smaller rocks and PVC pipes for the fish to hide in if the puffer goes after them would be a good idea

ARKproject

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
He gets a few crayfish a week. Costs me around $25 a month, which isn't too bad. I also throw in a few apple snails a week. I feel he's too small for clams and mussels yet.
Also, I'm not sure if this is common behaviour but he regularly bites the driftwood in his tank. Takes chuncks right out of it.
Is this some sort of natural response to filing his beak down?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
He gets a few crayfish a week. Costs me around $25 a month, which isn't too bad. I also throw in a few apple snails a week. I feel he's too small for clams and mussels yet.
Also, I'm not sure if this is common behaviour but he regularly bites the driftwood in his tank. Takes chuncks right out of it.
yeah I hear they do that, mainly with slate, but I only have/had dwarf puffers so I can't really tell you much about that. how big is he? if he can take crayfish he can probably take clams or take half of a clam

jtanw

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Chicago/Boston
Huh, I've never seen/heard of that before. I suppose that it should be fine so long as he isn't swallowing it, but you may want to remove the wood just to be safe...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store