Vieja identification help. Maybe hybrid?

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Hey everyone
I had bought some “Vieja” a while back. The breeder said they were redhead, but the grandpa was bhedori or something. I thought they were going to be Vieja Synspila, however, looking at pictures of them, I don’t think they are. Could you check out the video and let me know what you think?
The larger one is about 10-11” long, and a male (I’ve caught him trying to make babies with my mystery hybrid). I’m not sure of the sec on the smaller one, who he very much likes to bully and chase.

The water in my tank is always yellow, due to 4 large pieces of driftwood leeching tannins, giving the south/central American cichlids the slightly acidic water they prefer.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To expand on what Rocksor said, because you believe the "grandpa" was a Breidhori, and the LFS said "red heads" they are probably hybrids, and hybrids are not true species, so do not have identifiable legitimate names. They are often given cartoonish names by hybrid breeders, like Kamfas, or Flowerhorns, to make them marketable, but theses are not true IDs any more than a Picachu is a real animal.
Below is a true male Vieja breidhori

and the common name "red head" can often refer to any number of red headed Vieja,
could be bifasciata

could be melanurum (aka synspillum)
or any number of other red headed Vieja such as hartwegi, or fenestrata, I probably forgot a few others.
Once a hybrid, even with photos, there is "no" possible way for anyone to know, other than, it's a hybrid, and any progeny are also hybrids. Many people will try to discern progeny, but once genes are mixed up, it's all just amateur speculation

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store