Vieja Melanurus, Electric Pink Jack Dempsey and more!

greg c

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2014
nj
Vieja Melanurus, Electric Pink Jack Dempsey, Honduran red points, Uaru cichlids, and Gold red spotted Severum, so far everyone is getting along, they've been in this tank for the last couple of months, I'm surprised the big Vieja doesn't bother any of them, hope you enjoy the video!.

Pastoral

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
Greg, how is it going with the Mel? I have been very interested in these fish for some time, thinking of adding one to my 240G, which currently has Uaru, Geophagus, a pair or two Chocolate cichlids, a pair of Bleekeri, clown loaches and several places. Researching online, these fish are sometimes described as very territorial and aggressive, and other places they seem to be go-along, get-along at least with other larger cichlids.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have Vieja melanurus before. They color out very early, as small as 3 inch. They are aggressive only towards other Vieja species, but gentle giant to unrelated species. They are not predator and mine showed no threat to even small fish that fit into their mouth. Your is bold and outgoing. Mine became skittish at old age due to lack of competition.

greg c

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2014
nj
I have Vieja melanurus before. They color out very early, as small as 3 inch. They are aggressive only towards other Vieja species, but gentle giant to unrelated species. They are not predator and mine showed no threat to even small fish that fit into their mouth. Your is bold and outgoing. Mine became skittish at old age due to lack of competition.
Mine is the same way as you described but he is a little more outgoing than yours was I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store