Vieja Questions

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
I'm in the process of setting up a massive 405-gallon monster tank and I wanted some cichlids. Was originally going to go with Oscars but found them too boisterous and conflictual. I've been reading up on Vieja and keep getting conflicting information on whether or not they are okay to have in a community.

Here are the points I was Considering:
1. Their tankmates:
They wouldn't be only inhabitants sharing it with other monsters including a RTGG, Ornate Bichir, about 7 Threespot Geophagus, and some Fancy pleco(L024, L091, L047).
2. How many:
I was thinking around 10 for life. Don't worry I'm running plenty of filtration and a drip system.
3. What species:
I really want the Vieja Argentea and Maculicauda but some sites say they can quite aggressive. I also want a variety of species and not just one.

To anybody with experience with them should I go with them, considering theses points?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you think Oscars are too conflictual, Viejas are going to be worse. Argentea and maculicauda in particular are some of the more aggressive ones, but they all can be pretty rowdy. If you are looking for large non-aggressive cichlids, I have heard good things about pearsei and bocourti.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
My Synspilum was a gentle giant. Best fish I have ever owned.He was everyone's favorite whole lot of color and personality and he never bit other fish back not even when they would bite him some how he was still the tank bouncer though-he pushed with his head and would pin them until they calmed down and then he would let them go
R.I.P. Meatloaf!

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Check out my videos in my sig line. You can definitely have a Vieja community if you have a big tank. I have a Blackbelt, a bunch of Argentea, and 2 Zonatus in this tank. Not much fighting. I had a Midas that eventually had to go because she was starting some pretty serious incidents. But, the Vieja.....not too aggressive if you ask me.

Now, put 2 of these fish in a 125--fireworks. And I think that's where Vieja bad reputation really comes from. It's not that they're particularly aggressive, it's just that they get so big. Keep 'em in a 125, and they have no choice but to fight just because they know they need the elbow room.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I agree that veija community is possible in a large enough tank. I also feel it could be trouble.
It can go either way.
I have to agree with Gourami Swami, if you think oscars are aggressive forget veija.
I have kept very easy going melanura but generally oscars are hippies compared to veija.

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
I agree that veija community is possible in a large enough tank. I also feel it could be trouble.
It can go either way.
I have to agree with Gourami Swami, if you think oscars are aggressive forget veija.
I have kept very easy going melanura but generally oscars are hippies compared to veija.
The aggression with the Oscars was mostly toward the easier going Geos, which was the problem. I've heard Vieja tend to keep towards themselves or species that look like them. If i'm wrong and some species are bullies to defenseless fish then tell me.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The aggression with the Oscars was mostly toward the easier going Geos, which was the problem. I've heard Vieja tend to keep towards themselves or species that look like them. If i'm wrong and some species are bullies to defenseless fish then tell me.
I have found they pick on whatever they feel is in the way.
Some are OK though,it's the luck of the draw.
Personally I have found guttulatus and regani to be the most aggressive out of the ones I have kept.
If your after a relatively peaceful tank your better off with s/a cichlids like heros species or chocolate cichlids for example.
A lot about keeping cichlids is trial and error.
Keep a divider ready to intervene if things get out of hand.

Reactions: cichlidfish

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Here are the species that I believe I want (in descending order):

Vieja Argentea(they look the best)
Vieja Regani/Zonatus(either or but I like their colors)
Vieja Bifasciatus/Breidohri(one or the other they have that similar look)
Vieja Melanura(They look cool and have good temperament)
Vieja Synspilum(same as melanura but a bit bigger)

If I can get info on these species, in particular, especially the regani, that would be helpful.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Argentia have a bad rep for aggression.
Regani when I kept them were extremely aggressive.
Melanura and synspilum are the same fish.
From that list melanura are the most peaceful and can be extremely easy going.

Reactions: Jason_S
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store