Vincent Wu's new fish room

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Unfortunately, only a few of these stayed 'platinum' and 2 reverted to their original coloration. I'm still not certain as to why but I do trust that my supplier was not involved of any misconduct. Perhaps these eels just go back and forth with the coloration.

Reactions: Iamfish

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Unfortunately, only a few of these stayed 'platinum' and 2 reverted to their original coloration. I'm still not certain as to why but I do trust that my supplier was not involved of any misconduct. Perhaps these eels just go back and forth with the coloration.
What species of eel?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
One was offered to me and after keeping that one for months, I fell in love with it and decided to try and locate more. Asked the same supplier who offered the first one and a few months later I had a shipment of a bunch :) Here is a picture of them when they first arrived...

View attachment 1438772
Interesting. I work with the American eel (same genus) that are typically brown/yellow color. However, when they mature and head for the sea they change color to silver tones. Their eyes enlarge and darken, and the tip of the tail turns black. From above, the American eel in the silver phase looks very similar to the eels in the above photo. Perhaps these were collected while out migrating? I've got some pictures I'll post soon.

Reactions: vincentwugwg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store