Vitamin C to Dechlorinate water

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
Article stated municipal water contains from 1-4ppm chlorine/chlorimine and many commercial dechlorinators only partially removes chlorine. That some of the chemicals used in those formulas tend to be toxic. Vit C completely removed it adding an antioxidant mineral to the equation. With as many members using a probiotic additive like Ridx, I was curious if there are any members using it as well?.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I'm really interested in reading the article if you have a link? :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I worked for a municipal water plant, and we discharged a chlorinated coag basin of about 50,000 gallons, into a local ditch, we used a concentrated citric acid drip solution to neutralize the chlorine.
I monitored the stream with a pH meter every 120 seconds to make sure pH didn't suddenly drop below the DNR approved level, no lower than a pH of 5, if I remember right.
As a chlorine neutralizer it worked very well.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I don't use it but I've read about it.

It may not dechlorinate chloramine quickly and doesn't do anything for the remaining ammonia.

Shelf life is limited and it's not as cost effective as sulfur compounds. It doesn't decrease O2 like some sulfur-based dechlorinators though.

Reactions: RD.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Interesting, I'm going to do some digging on that one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store