Vulture Catfish has black filaments protruding from body?

fishdat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2014
Western Canada
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
30ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I noticed a small wound on the base of a whisker and was looking up close at the vulture catfish. I never stick my face against the tank because I don't want to stress my fish out, so I can't say with certainty if it's an illness I'm unfamiliar with or if these are sensory organs.

The filaments:
PXL_20210514_064515048.MP.jpg
Screenshot_20210513-234237.png

Full body picture:
PXL_20210514_064423788~2.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
More like hair or filaments with a purpose. Maybe thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter or Fishman Dave Fishman Dave have an idea. Don’t think it need to be treated for external parasites yet.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This is new to me. And intriguing too. Would you mind posting on PlanetCatfish? If you don't want to bother with an account etc., I can post for you.

fishdat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2014
Western Canada
This is new to me. And intriguing too. Would you mind posting on PlanetCatfish? If you don't want to bother with an account etc., I can post for you.
Please post it there and give me a link to the thread!

A minor edit to the end of first post: so I can't say with certainty if it's an illness I'm unfamiliar with or if these are sensory organs I haven't noticed from afar. They're quite hard to see even standing a foot from the tank.

I can't edit the post and forgot to finish my thoughts, so if you cross post it please include that. Thanks

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From Dr. H. H. Ng: https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50064#p330340

Unread post
by Silurus » Wed May 19, 2021 10:19 pm

These look like epithelial projections that are prominent in some catfishes (e.g. in Bagrichthys and particularly Bagroides [TBTB: lancer catfish]). If you look closely, the black projections are present right where the black spots are, and the pale projections are in places where the spots aren't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store