Waiting for my order of haitiensis juvys

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
So just an update, I finally have 2 that have formed a pair that I’ve isolated in there own 55 gallon, the male is about 3.5 inches and the female about 2 .5 inches , they get along pretty well so far , hoping maybe they’ll breed soon, also very slow growing fish lol so far out of all the big American cichlids I’ve had by far the slowest growers

View attachment 1442441

View attachment 1442442

View attachment 1442443

View attachment 1442444

View attachment 1442445

View attachment 1442446
What are you feeding them and what temperature are you keeping them at ?

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
What are you feeding them and what temperature are you keeping them at ?
Keeping there tank temp at about 85 and have them on spirilina pellets, and bug bites pellets to help with the protein, they actually eat quite abit just not much growth to show for it lol I’m convinced any other large American would have been double the size by now

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Keeping there tank temp at about 85 and have them on spirilina pellets, and bug bites pellets to help with the protein, they actually eat quite abit just not much growth to show for it lol I’m convinced any other large American would have been double the size by now
Ok thanks

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Hey so just an update the pair just spawned and the fry are in the corner with the mother, the father seems to be patrolling the tank, although the pair breed they don’t get along great lol there very protective of the babies and the mother won’t even let the father get close without striking him lol I’m very happy and hope they survive, planning on moving the babies out in a couple of weeks if all goes well, does anyone know how long I have until the parents kill the babies? I’m just worried because the breeding process was very hard on the female, the male tore her lip up pretty bad during breeding, so not sure how long the pair will last

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In my case, after a while, the baby's almost killed their father. They needed constant feeding, and if not given enough, they start with eating the fathers slime coat and then ate a hole in his side. He would barely try o shake them off, and would have died if I had not removed him.
1609430410228.png
Below a shot of the hole they ate in his side, taken after i removed him.
1609430488408.png
With my haitiensus, the parents never harmed the fry, but the larger fry would kill and eat their smaller brethren.
I ended up with 3 or 4 different grow out tanks, different size fry in each.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Hey so just an update the pair just spawned and the fry are in the corner with the mother, the father seems to be patrolling the tank, although the pair breed they don’t get along great lol there very protective of the babies and the mother won’t even let the father get close without striking him lol I’m very happy and hope they survive, planning on moving the babies out in a couple of weeks if all goes well, does anyone know how long I have until the parents kill the babies? I’m just worried because the breeding process was very hard on the female, the male tore her lip up pretty bad during breeding, so not sure how long the pair will last
t's different for every fish. IME haitiensis are very rough on each other whether spawning or not. My Male killed his female two weeks after spawning, luckily I had a second female and they seem to be getting along a little better long term. It may be a good idea to separate the male and let the female raise the fry on her own. But having said that, my current pair raised their last spawn until they were all 2 inches and I had to start getting them out of there because they were overwhelming the bio load.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
In my case, after a while, the baby's almost killed their father. They needed constant feeding, and if not given enough, they start with eating the fathers slime coat and then ate a hole in his side. He would barely try o shake them off, and would have died if I had not removed him.
View attachment 1445457
Below a shot of the hole they ate in his side, taken after i removed him.
View attachment 1445458
With my haitiensus, the parents never harmed the fry, but the larger fry would kill and eat their smaller brethren.
I ended up with 3 or 4 different grow out tanks, different size fry in each.
Wow that’s crazy I would of never thought the babies would harm the father like that

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
t's different for every fish. IME haitiensis are very rough on each other whether spawning or not. My Male killed his female two weeks after spawning, luckily I had a second female and they seem to be getting along a little better long term. It may be a good idea to separate the male and let the female raise the fry on her own. But having said that, my current pair raised their last spawn until they were all 2 inches and I had to start getting them out of there because they were overwhelming the bio load.
Aw okay I guess I’ll have to wait and see, tbh I’m going to set up a 30 gallon grow out tank I have extra, I plan on letting them breed maybe a few times and then after I’m gonna keep the male and get rid of the female, I have a bad feeling that if I keep them a pair it’ll end in death for one of them, and I much prefer the look of the male over the female

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My pair remained copasetic for almost 5 years, and produced many spawns.
The only reason they stopped was a week long winter power outage that killed the female.
I ended up trading the big male for 3 adult beanii.

Reactions: anzo1993

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
My pair remained copasetic for almost 5 years, and produced many spawns.
The only reason they stopped was a week long winter power outage that killed the female.
I ended up trading the big male for 3 adult beanii.
Well hopefully my pair workout as well as yours lol 5 years is a pretty good run

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store