WAL in a West African Community?

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
If this is a topic brought up frequently I apologize. In the past I had a SAL that when I finally rehomed it was roughly 30" long. Loved him! Great fish, and probably one of my favorite fish I have kept. This is my question: I am considering doing a West African Community. The plan is Tilapia Buttikoferi, Hemichromis Fasciatus, Polypterus Endlicheri, and maybe a WAL. Can this be done? And if so, what major difference can I expect between the SAL and WAL?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
You can keep whatever u like together, theres always risk even in solo specie tanks.....i had a WAL from 8" to 33" who always lived in a "community" tank. He'd cookie cutter whoever he liked, whenever he wanted too. Wasent every day, or even every year for that matter but it did and will happen. All depends how much u care for the other fish ur keeping. provided with enough space its not a big issue i.m.o. just know in the back of ur head they have jaws like a pair of shears or snapping turtle and u cant blame them or be surprised when they deciede to slice a tankmate in half. anything else living on the bottom is fair game. I had a 10" geo cichlid cookie cuttered surgically lol...pretty impressive. over an 8 yr. period he prob killed 3-4 fish... not too bad. SAL are known for being the most tolerable of tank mates...WAL's get a bad rap for tank mates but each fish is a case by case scenario as always. good luck...i say go for it.

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
I agree with Wednesday. Wal have odd temperaments the more I learn about them. Sometimes they tolerate tankmates. Other times not so much. I think it all depends on the individual and which fish the owner wants to risk. From what I’ve noticed bigger fish tend to have a better chance at getting along with the wal.

My own personal experience is anything that can fit in its mouth will become food eventually. And any quick aggressive Fish will pick at the lung until it’s dead. Also noticed that they don’t like to share the bottom of the tank much. Heard a few stories ending with headless bichirs.

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
Well that answers my question..... So if I have tons of driftwood in the tank, will a Buttikoferi and a WAL be good? If I just leave it like that? Bottom dwelling space and places to hide for the WAL and middle and top space for the Buttikoferi. Should work, Right?

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
Well that answers my question..... So if I have tons of driftwood in the tank, will a Buttikoferi and a WAL be good? If I just leave it like that? Bottom dwelling space and places to hide for the WAL and middle and top space for the Buttikoferi. Should work, Right?

No guarantee but I think u got a good chance of it working out. Driftwood for the wal to hide from the buttikoferi and the buttikoferi is easily replaced if it gets eaten.

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
Okay cool. Aquascapeonline has a 10" WAL for $65. But I'll have to pay for shipping. A LFS near me has one, the same size, for $80. But I hate the owner of that store. Lol so we will see which one I do.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Okay cool. Aquascapeonline has a 10" WAL for $65. But I'll have to pay for shipping. A LFS near me has one, the same size, for $80. But I hate the owner of that store. Lol so we will see which one I do.
So you are willing to risk a more expensive WAL on the butti? What will you do if the butti seriously injures the WAL?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store