Want to start a salt water tank

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
I have a 20H that I want to make into a salt water tank. I guess I just need a little boost of info on how to get started. I have read a bunch of info on them and I guess I can't seem to find a specific way to start things. I know I want it to be a fowler tank, just want to start with the most basic until I learn. Thinking clown fish and damsels or maybe just a couple clowns and a blue legged hermit crab with a peppermint shrimp as well. So how do I begin :)

cellowithgills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Oregon
Get your all of your equipment (That includes live sand and rock) up and running and leave it alone for a month (or longer).

Dump the idea of keeping damsels with anything other than damsels, they're nasty. And do some research on what type of clown because some get huge.

P.S. Don't be tempted to put anything in the tank for the first month, it will more than likely die no matter what LFS people tell you. You'll probably want like 5 hermit crabs, and you'll never see the peppermint shrimp if you only get one.

JT.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2009
México DF.
The best sand you can use is the aragonit.
Remember to clean your live rock.
Also maybe consider adding some begginer corals.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Ok I picked up 20 lbs or black and white argonite sand, I have a Marineland 200 hob filter and am getting a hob protein skimmer this weekend. What kind of marine salt should I get? I know petco has a bunch of different kinds and how do I start the water curing process? I know it takes about a month before I can add fish and sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right the first time and not have to suffer through countless headaches. Also could I possible fit a smaller anenome such as a bubble tip in the 20H with proper lighting? I plan to get a anice metal halide light with the white and blue bulbs.

JT.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2009
México DF.
Kanta;4600245; said:
Ok I picked up 20 lbs or black and white argonite sand, I have a Marineland 200 hob filter and am getting a hob protein skimmer this weekend. What kind of marine salt should I get? I know petco has a bunch of different kinds and how do I start the water curing process? I know it takes about a month before I can add fish and sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right the first time and not have to suffer through countless headaches. Also could I possible fit a smaller anenome such as a bubble tip in the 20H with proper lighting? I plan to get a anice metal halide light with the white and blue bulbs.
I need to tell you Im new with saltwaters too, I just began my nano reef like 3months ago.

I searched a lot on Internet and asked to some friends who have lots of time keeping reef tanks and decided to go with INSTANT OCEAN salt.

If you are planning to make a reef tank, you would need to keep your specific gravity at 1.023, so you need to buy a Hydrometer, and to place the temperature at 78°F

Of course you could keep lots of anemones but I think its not one of the best begginers corals, maybe some xenia or some mushrooms.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have been keeping salt for about 11 years. I have a 150 gallon reef now and also a 30 gallon frag tank. I would recomend since you are just getting started to work on keeping the fish you want first. Then later add the lights and anenome only after you have had some practice with keeping the water chemistry balanced and stable for a while.
As for water you will want to keep the salinity at least 1.020 to 1.023 for fish only and for fish and inverts (thats the crabs and live rock you mentioned) I would keep it 1.025 to 1.027 this is closer to natural salt levels. The inverts do not do well at lower salinity and to low will kill them. Fish are able to live at lower salt levels some pepole will even lower the salinity to combat ick because of this.
The basic equipment are the same as fresh for fish only. If possible add a good protien skimmer and definatly add one before you try corals or anenomes. These animals produce slime and chemicals constatly and the skimmer will help keep this out of your water.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Thank you all for the info, super helpful. I feel a bit more confident now and am just going to try the fish first to practice like you said. Will keep you guys updated.

Bloby762

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2016
So what is the "gravity" stuff and what stuff would I need for a new tank and what are begginer fish thanks

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So what is the "gravity" stuff and what stuff would I need for a new tank and what are begginer fish thanks
The specific gravity is the amount of salt that is in the water and a hydrometer is the instrument that is used to find that out.

Bloby762

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2016
The specific gravity is the amount of salt that is in the water and a hydrometer is the instrument that is used to find that out.
Ohhhh okay thanks and what other things shouldd I have in say a 40 gallon salt water tank along with good beginner fish thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store