Wanting to get stingrays but not sure what my options are

rvadog

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2012
NYC
All - I'd like to get a ray (or a couple of them) but have some limitations. The biggest is space available. I have two options:

1 - a 180g currently stocked with silver dollars (8), pearsei cichlid (3 but pairing down to 1), and Senegal bicher (1). All fish are ~8mos so relatively small but will get bigger of course. Doing 30-40% wc twice a week and keeping nitrates ~10

2 - a new tank - I have a 75 gallon that's empty and possibly space for a 72"x24" footprint but would have to be an outstanding deal.

Is there a world where I could get rays with these space limitations? If so, what species?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
All - I'd like to get a ray (or a couple of them) but have some limitations. The biggest is space available. I have two options:

1 - a 180g currently stocked with silver dollars (8), pearsei cichlid (3 but pairing down to 1), and Senegal bicher (1). All fish are ~8mos so relatively small but will get bigger of course. Doing 30-40% wc twice a week and keeping nitrates ~10

2 - a new tank - I have a 75 gallon that's empty and possibly space for a 72"x24" footprint but would have to be an outstanding deal.

Is there a world where I could get rays with these space limitations? If so, what species?
Most would recommend 3' width minimum for most adult rays, 4' would be better. Finding true "small" "mini" rays is difficult. Even the dwarf types still can get 12-16" in diameter.

bobtheslob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
New Jersey
I think your only options for a 180 would either be scobinas or hystrix rays. I used to keep hystrix rays and my male only maxed out at 10" in diameter.

Reactions: Preacher
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store