Warrior Flowerhorn?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’ve posted some pics on other threads asking about my Flowerhorn because it looks different than others I see. I saw this one called a warrior Flowerhorn and I think it looks a lot like mine. What is a warrior Flowerhorn exactly? Do you think that’s what I have? It was sold to me as an SRD
First two pics are mine, last pic is a warrior Flowerhorn
Thanks?

E039D7A0-5522-4BBA-A841-07B8FEE9F36B.jpeg

C9607969-DF10-4F2B-BA89-63BCA60D9E72.jpeg

73A90CBE-F99F-47FE-9084-3CCF7539ECD4.jpeg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's not an SRD. Don't shoot the messenger, but in flowerhorn circles the only thing that yours would be called is, low grade.

I also agree, being a man induced hybrid, a FH can be somewhat like is ancestral (real species) father, or its ancestral mother, and any variation in between. Giving them fancy Pokemon names is just a marketing ploy
Not exactly. While names are indeed created for marketing, there are many FH strains where breeders have spent many years establishing certain colors & traits, in their Kamfa, Thai Silk, Golden Base, etc. lines. These are specific strains, that look nothing like the old school FH that looked to be only a generation or two removed from their partial Trimac origins. The breeder wants his creation to stand out from the rest, as they should, so a name is attached to that specific strain.

In the case of the OP's fish, it's simply a low cost low quality specimen, which is why it looks close to it's ancestral origins. Most quality conscious breeders simply cull throw back specimens such as that.

See video below for examples of Super Red Dragon. (SRD)

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
All low grade FH look like Trimacs, hence the reason why pure quality Trimacs were at one time difficult to find. Too many low grade FH's on the market, and it got confusing to anyone looking at a 2-4" juvenile fish. None of the high end, higher quality, higher priced, flowerhorn, look anything like a Trimac, and they haven't for over 20 years.

The problem is where there is a dollar to be made, there is typically someone there to make it. So in lower quality breeding programs, where there is a multitude of trimac looking offspring, there are those that still sell them, as whatever you want to call them, FH. In these parts fish like the OP's sell for $2-10, depending on size. Lots of home breeders selling them, as well as some LFS that don't know, or care about the quality of the fish they are selling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store