Water change how often?

Rusty91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Germany
Hi,
I‘ve read that fish will grow better if you perform a lot of water changes. Currently I have a 4 inch red devil solo in a 107 gallons. At the moment i change about 60% a week. Sometimes twice a week if I have the time. I think that should be fine to get a good growth on my cichlid. What are your opinions of that? How often do you change?
Would appreciate some experience from you guys….

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
When I had my red devil in a 75 gallon I was doing 80% water changes every 3 days,granted i only had it for a very short period of time but it grew quite a bit during that time. It's all about dilution IMO.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
duanes duanes
Hi,
I‘ve read that fish will grow better if you perform a lot of water changes. Currently I have a 4 inch red devil solo in a 107 gallons. At the moment i change about 60% a week. Sometimes twice a week if I have the time. I think that should be fine to get a good growth on my cichlid. What are your opinions of that? How often do you change?

Reactions: Rusty91

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi,
I‘ve read that fish will grow better if you perform a lot of water changes. Currently I have a 4 inch red devil solo in a 107 gallons. At the moment i change about 60% a week. Sometimes twice a week if I have the tie. I think that should be fine to get a good growth on my cichlid. What are your opinions of that? How often do you change?
Some members do fin level weekly wc's but 60% a week is good.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
50% weekly should suffice, assuming that you’re not over-feeding and/or have adequate filtration.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
For optimum growth rate you need to tick three basic boxes...

1. Suitably sized tank to start off with, which for a 4" fish, I think you've got your first tick.

2. Quality varied diet. Hikari and NLS aren't a bad starting point, second tick.

3. Keep your nitrate as low as possible, and I mean low, no greater than 5ppm. I doubt very much, unless you are overfeeding or are very lazy at maintenance time, that your bio load is high with that lone fish anyway. So for tick number 3 you need to establish your nitrate creep, and perform water changes to keep it very low.

Genes may also play a part, but there's little you can do about that.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i have multi test strips and use them on my 55 gallon, they always say its clean but gunk still builds up at the bottom
for me the water changes are mostly to make it look nicer

Reactions: Rusty91
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store