Water change question

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
repair said:
Be carefull using a new garden hose because it can release toxins into the water. They say that people shouldn't drink out of garden hoses.

As they get older they release less and if you still want to use the hose be sure to let the water run a while to flush it out good be fore you use it. :grinyes:
thanks for that info i just bought one the other day for my tank i wont be using it now ill go buy clear tubing from the lfs
Nic :)

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
repair said:
Be carefull using a new garden hose because it can release toxins into the water. They say that people shouldn't drink out of garden hoses.

As they get older they release less and if you still want to use the hose be sure to let the water run a while to flush it out good be fore you use it. :grinyes:

Agreed. Garden hoses are laced with chemicals to resist the growth of mildew and molds. Those chemicals can prove deadly to the fish. Id be on the safe side and use something safer.

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
different people have different ways of doing thing. The python is awesome but I wouldn't recommend putting sink water straight into a tank with sensitive fish. Cichlids and other hardy fish aren't too stress during wc but there are fish out there that would require aged/pretreated water. Some people like r/o water and would go to the extreme to store them for future wc. Also it depends on how much water is being changed . 20% a week or equalivent of sink water is not nearly as bad as 50% per week. Some fish are ph sensitive as well. PH tend to be higher at first and thru time the ph drops. I believe stingray is a good example as they are sensitive to high ph and copper may even kill them instantly.

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
i do very frequent water changes and i do run water directly from the sink. the water where i live is very alkaline. a lfs owner told me that the water here is ok to add without adding any chems. i still do add stresscoat and amquel. the fish seem very happy and healthy

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
When running a lot of tanks my water change kit consisted of three 30g pickle barrels, a power changer and a furniture dolly, this allows you to pretreat the water any way you need to. At the time I had a couple tanks that required either high or low pH as breeding triggers. This is also where I mix in any salt I might be using.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store