Water change question

syntaxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi, I know that water change is a must. However, is it alright to do 50% WC direct from tap and just put anti chlorine after? My tank is 220gal and I don't have a container to store water. Thanks

syntaxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
Philippines
Add the dechlorinator in the aquarium first.
Thank you so much. I got 40ppm of nitrate and it was just 20 ppm last night and since one of my discus is turning upside down I need to do 50% WC that's why I ask. So incoming chlorine is not that really bad if dechlorinator is in before it arrives?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you so much. I got 40ppm of nitrate and it was just 20 ppm last night and since one of my discus is turning upside down I need to do 50% WC that's why I ask. So incoming chlorine is not that really bad if dechlorinator is in before it arrives?
Yes correct just follow instructions for dosage.

Reactions: syntaxx

moneygetter1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
NYC
It's always a matter of choice but with Discus I try to stay in the 10ppm range as much as possible. Try 75% or better to get those nitrates down. You don't want to wait for negative reactions to make corrections. "T"

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's always a matter of choice but with Discus I try to stay in the 10ppm range as much as possible. Try 75% or better to get those nitrates down. You don't want to wait for negative reactions to make corrections. "T"
Great advice!

Reactions: decoy50

Dave62

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I'm certainly no expert but what I've read indicates that one should 'age' their water at least 24 hours to let pressurized gases dissipate. This helps to avoid PH bounce that occurs after certain tap water is added to your tank. The PH of my water straight from the tap varies by .2-.4 vs. untreated tap water that has sat around ('aged') for a day. Stable PH is more important than the absolute PH value, so constant water changes and PH swings can stress the Discus out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store