Water change surprise!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
So today is water change day on all the tanks. I do my biggest tank last since it takes the longest to fill. I do my normal drain down to fin level. Then while it’s filling I decide to clean the media that’s not something I do often. So I clean it up, drain the sump down to a few inches and put everything back. Then I figure I should finally get around to making the filter sock I never put in place when setting the sump up. So I grab a few things and get the sock in place. Not I just want to make sure it works.....
So I’m waiting patiently for the tank to fill so the overflow will drain into the sump. Finally it starts filling. Slowly but surely it fills up and I can turn my pump on. Everything seems to be working great. The sock is doing it’s job and not hindering flow in anyway. Yay!

Then I see something....

..... something small. A bug? A larva? What is it? I use my phone flashlight to get a better look....

It’s a tinny fry!!! But who’s fry is this? I was so excited I tried to catch as many as I could. I only got a dozen or two. I have them set up in a 10g to grow out.

I know they aren’t gt fry. One female did just lay eggs that hatched yesterday, but they all died or were picked off by the 5 older gt fry still in the tank. So they never made it to the free swimming stage. Not to mention gt fry don’t look like this:p

So that leaves my schoolers. They have been banged up looking. And I swear I’ve seen them chasing each other the past few days, but didn’t think much of it. My tank isn’t set up in a way that any eggs would last long. So I’ve never hoped for babies. But I think some eggs must have been sucked down into the sump and they hatched!
So if you’re still with me, here they are!
09F19838-2617-4060-BE80-E11C2A3AE19E.jpeg 783A67E9-5BBA-45BA-A0E4-39F93AE70C70.jpeg C348B906-4EAB-4773-8E28-BF830D09BF3C.jpeg

My best guess is these are giant danio fry. Since I’ve had my kids glowfish for years without any activity from them. And I doubt it was my rainbows. We will see if I’m right:)

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
That's incredible! What are you doing to get your fishes to spawn? I thought the goldfish was luck but know I'm thinking it's skill.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That's incredible! What are you doing to get your fishes to spawn? I thought the goldfish was luck but know I'm thinking it's skill.
Nothing that I’m aware of. I’m sure being in a bigger tank has made them happy, but it is so bare right now. Just the driftwood, no plants. I figured I’d need to have plants before I’d ever hope to have them spawn.

Very nice,hope you are able raise them.What size is the big tank?
I hope I’ll be able to get at least a couple to adulthood. I’ll just start up my regular fry routine with these guys and hope for the best. The 10g I moved them to has some algae masses and pothos roots. So hopefully they will find some nice goodies on those to eat too.
The big tank is a 6’ x 18” 135g. Small for some, but my biggest tank so far:)

It was a great surprise! And to think I would have never found them if I hadn’t decided to get that filter sock in. I do feel a bit sad at the same time though. Since I drained the sump down I wonder how many I sent out the window to their deaths:(

Reactions: Matteus

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
What filtration are you running on that Pyrex dish!

Reactions: MrsE88

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So today is water change day on all the tanks. I do my biggest tank last since it takes the longest to fill. I do my normal drain down to fin level. Then while it’s filling I decide to clean the media that’s not something I do often. So I clean it up, drain the sump down to a few inches and put everything back. Then I figure I should finally get around to making the filter sock I never put in place when setting the sump up. So I grab a few things and get the sock in place. Not I just want to make sure it works.....
So I’m waiting patiently for the tank to fill so the overflow will drain into the sump. Finally it starts filling. Slowly but surely it fills up and I can turn my pump on. Everything seems to be working great. The sock is doing it’s job and not hindering flow in anyway. Yay!

Then I see something....

..... something small. A bug? A larva? What is it? I use my phone flashlight to get a better look....

It’s a tinny fry!!! But who’s fry is this? I was so excited I tried to catch as many as I could. I only got a dozen or two. I have them set up in a 10g to grow out.

I know they aren’t gt fry. One female did just lay eggs that hatched yesterday, but they all died or were picked off by the 5 older gt fry still in the tank. So they never made it to the free swimming stage. Not to mention gt fry don’t look like this:p

So that leaves my schoolers. They have been banged up looking. And I swear I’ve seen them chasing each other the past few days, but didn’t think much of it. My tank isn’t set up in a way that any eggs would last long. So I’ve never hoped for babies. But I think some eggs must have been sucked down into the sump and they hatched!
So if you’re still with me, here they are!
View attachment 1341417 View attachment 1341418 View attachment 1341419

My best guess is these are giant danio fry. Since I’ve had my kids glowfish for years without any activity from them. And I doubt it was my rainbows. We will see if I’m right:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with kendragon kendragon you have great skills. Proves you are a doing things correctly as a good hobbyist should.

Reactions: Matteus and MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store