Water change

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
hello i would like to know everything about maruloides especially temperature which is best for it. I ll buy a surat one but here it costs 400euro thats why i am thinking about it and i want to know everything. I m planning to buy many plants for it. How often should i change water and what percent? If you have any other information about it please share it with me :) it will be my first planted aquarium and i ll have anubias vallensieras and some other easy plants
Thanks in advance

Hotspot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Germany
Hi there,

I own a marulioides since 2010, it was always one of my favourit speices of snakeheads.

In general they prefer a minimum-temeprature of 25-26 °C/77-79°F, my specimen does not like temps below 26 °C/77°F so she's kept always at ~27°C/80,5°F.

I change 80 to 90% of the tank-water per week to keep the water pristine (water changing - freak o_O:)), especially juvenile snakeheads can be somewhat sensitive to bad water conditions.
I would recommend nothing under 60% per week, but only if you have much water and not so much fish ................. I myself would change 75 % per week as a minimum :).

Marulioides
likes hideouts at the water surface that consist of plants like Vallisneria gigantea or other plants that flood the water surface; I currently use V. gigantea but want to try Pistia stratiotis when I find them.

greetings,

Peter

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Hi peter and thanks for your answer!
Yea i thought about gigantea and some pistia stratiotis and i ll put them both in the tank. I ll use some anubias a large driftwood in the middle and some rocks as a hiding cave spot. I m thinking to make the water cloudy brown from wood , which means i wont boil it enough and i ll put it inside the tank like that. For the bottom of the tank i will use sand from river dark brown and some leaves. I ll try to aquascape a river from Thailand which i have in videos. Nothing better than the natural! I was thinking a temperature between 26-28 so 27 as you say will be great. Since i ll heavily plant the tank i think i wont do that much water change. But i am not sure about it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store