Water Hardness- Livebearers... please respond soon~

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Hello everyone!

I have a question about aquarium water. The water is pretty soft and I would like to keep livebearers and I know they would prefer hard water so what should I do to make it higher???? What about Water changes? The tank is a 10 gallon.......

I have heard of using crushed coral in the filter but what about doing water changes and how long does that last??

Thank you all! You are the best!

Peaches~

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
When I kept killies I just dropped a coulpe of old oyster shells in the tank. Guppies didn't seem to care, heel, they would mate in your hand if you held still for a couple of minutes.

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Okay, um... Thank you Guppy!

Does anybody know by any chance if livebeares would just adapt to the softer water. I mean, a lot of SOFT water species are often kept in hard alkaline water and they just fine...

Thank you!!!

Peaches~ :headbang2

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
easy way to find that out is to keep them in the soft water and see if they breed

im certain they will. woulda said something earlier but you came off sounding like you were some hardcore purist :p

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
My son belongs to the Live Bearers association and our club hosted thier national convention in Indy this summer. I don't remeber their website but if you Google it I'm shure you will find it. If not e-mail me and I will get it for you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store