water ph question

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
my out the tap water is 8.5 ph and my tank water is 7.5ph. my question is will my fish get ph shock if i change water? or should i raise my water to almost the same ph as my tap water?

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
my out the tap water is 8.5 ph and my tank water is 7.5ph. my question is will my fish get ph shock if i change water? or should i raise my water to almost the same ph as my tap water?
Your fish will be fine. Don't forget as well that during a water change you're not changing "all" the water, you're only partially changing it, so you've got some of the "old" 7.5 water left in the tank for your 8.5 tap water to be further diluted in.

The last thing you want to be doing is changing the ph of your water before it's even been added to your tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If your pH drops significantly in the tank as opposed to the tap, it may be that you are not doing enough, or frequent enough partial water changes, or cleaning gunk from filters.
Testing for pH is one of the ways we gauge how often water changes need to be done.
If tap water pH is 8.5, and in two weeks it has dropped to 7.5, it may mean that with your current water change schedule is not sufficient and you need to do a water change once per week.
A drop in pH is usually an indication that the acids from fish waste (or other metabolism) are overwhelming the system.
Vacuuming the substrate and cleaning mechanical media regularly can also help with this.

There are other factors that can also influence pH.
Is your tank heavily planted? A heavily planted tank often has a slightly lower pH in the morning as plant use O2 at night and give off CO2 at night.
Throughout the day plants use CO2 and give off O2, raising pH. The difference can often be pH 7.8 in the morning, 8.2 in the evening.

If your rap water is low in alkalinity (buffering capacity), your pH may drop from 8.5 to 7.5 in two days, this , may mean, to maintain stability, a partial water change may be needed every two days, to maintain pH longer wthout doing as many water changes, it may mean you may have too many, or too large a fish for that amount of water and its buffering capacity in the tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
my tap water coming out is at 8.5ph then you wait couple days in a bucket of water it will drop to 5-6ph iits the chemical in the tap water that makes it high at first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store