Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. We are back!! Please Clear your COOKIES AND CACHE.
      Dismiss Notice

Water suddenly cloudy

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by Zbosco13, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Zbosco13

Zbosco13 MFK Members

Zac B
      Yesterday at 4:39 PM
      So I've had my 125 up and running for a bit over a year, water has been crystal clear up until the last week or so when it suddenly became cloudy and greenish, and looking for a little direction on how to clear it back up. This started about a week ago and seems to be getting worse with some improvement on water change but it clouds back up in a day or two. Started last week.

Details:

Tank is filtered by an FX-6 and Fluval 406, turning over approx 1300 GPH between the two.

Stocked with 8" marbled motoro, 4" geo, 4" discus, 5" Flagtail
      Java Fern, Amazon sword

Only things that have changed in the last 1-2 weeks, both happened about the same time, shortly before water became cloudy. one of my heaters malfunctioned and bumped the temp from its normal 79-80 up to 89 for about two days. I also added a little aquaponics project, growing a couple basil plants in a modified utensil rack.

For reference I included a pic of the cloudiness today looking into the end of the tank vs a pic I snapped about a month that ago.

If anyone has a solution for this sudded clouding that doesn't involve moving the fish, or any non ray-safe chemicals, I would greatly appreciate your input.

IMG_20170213_221940917.jpg

IMG_20170111_074947871.jpg

2. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      49 minutes ago
      Possible algae bloom.

Did you add additional lighting for the basil plants?

3. Zbosco13

Zbosco13 MFK Members

Zac B
      Nope, lighting is same as it has always been. I have had a lot less algae on the glass since i added the flagtail about 1 month ago, barely scrape any during WC now, although not sure if the plants may be adding something to the water to cause the change.

4. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      49 minutes ago
      So, that room sounds like it gets a lot of natural lighting...especially giving the fact that basils needs strong lighting. Its a theory, but perhaps the algae that was growing in the tank was keeping the free floating algae at bay, by outcompeting for the same nutrients. But as the flagtail decimated the types of algae from the glass/décor/equipment, the free floating got the chance to take over.......resulting in cloudy, green water

J. H. and GamerChick5567 like this.
    5. magnificent

magnificent MFK Members

saturn
      Feb 15, 2017
      Lots of companies make a clarifier solution to clear up cloudy water. I am sure you can find it in the stores.

6. GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567 MFK Members

Marissa
      Today at 2:04 AM
      If it is free floating algae or little microorganisms a UV sterilizer should help a bit. See if you can find one on sale.

monkeybike and xraycer like this.
    7. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      49 minutes ago
      I would advise against using chemicals to resolve this issue. Its best to fix the issue at its root cause, rather than getting a quick fix that masks over an issue/problem. Chemicals such as clarifiers, while claiming to be fish safe, may compromise the health and longevity of your fish.

Drstrangelove and GamerChick5567 like this.
    8. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      49 minutes ago
      Or if it is an algae bloom, simply reduce lighting or add more plants, such as pothos, to compete for the nutrients

GamerChick5567 likes this.
    9. Drstrangelove

Drstrangelove MFK Members

Today at 5:56 AM
      It sounds like a bloom, likely algae but except for the color, perhaps bacterial. (I'm color blind and brown and green look interchangeable, so I might mistake bacterial blooms for algae.) In either case, something is creating the resource for accelerated growth.

Drastically reduce the lighting and if that fixes the issue it was likely algae. Then, you'll have to work out a better plant, nutrient and lighting management system. A properly sized UV, run even intermittently will also do wonders for algae.

If reduced lighting has no effect, then it's potentially bacterial. Reduce feeding and let the tank runs it's course. In the future reduce feeding or change the foods. Bacterial blooms are often caused by uneaten food left in the tank.

I advise against chemicals (agree with Xraycer.) Sudden blooms have an underlying cause that needs to be fixed, not hidden with a chemical.

xraycer, GamerChick5567 and kno4te like this.
    10. Zbosco13

Zbosco13 MFK Members

Zac B
      Ok, I think I'll pick up the UV first, been considering getting one for a while. Seems unlikely that it's uneaten food, with only 3 fish there's a pretty tiny amount of food added and they do a good job cleaning everything up, and what they miss the ray gets. The other thing that has changed is that we are now getting a lot more natural light over the last week or two as old man winter starts to relent. That would lend some credence tot he algae bloom theory as eell