We are thinking of getting either an umbee or a dovii pls help us decide which to get

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I'd say it depends on the fish. Both have similar levels of aggression but for a 250g I think you would have better luck with the Umbee since they grow slightly smaller, length wise, at max size.
Both in person and on youtube I have not seen many umbee with the same aggression towards there owner as alot of dovii.

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Ive owned both and agree that its hard to beat a large male doviis argression. However, umbee are very agressive too. Both species are especially while spawning. Both fish are going to be a toss up as far as which fish will be more agressive honestly. Both fish are also very intelligent too. I don't think you can go wrong with either fish if you're looking for a large smart agressive cichlid. However, regardless of how large a 250 gallon aquarium may be a male dovii can cap out at 24"+ and at that size is still a very very active swimmer. While it's not as common for umbee to get that large, they can. However, they are a little more lethargic when large. For a 250 for life I would go for an umbee pair.... but that's just me =]

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
My female umbee, Male Dovii and Male midas had floating toys ( balls, stars, etc) in the tank they played with or bumped with ...different shapes and colors ....Dovii liked carrying a nylabone around the tank .. intelligent fish, interactive wet pets..... Kept in 6'x2 footprint tanks.. GL have fun

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store