Weaning to dead

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
HalloFolks,
Small silver, ~6". Early life was on juv.roaches then weaned onto coquis (little invasive frogs) and tried him on fish filet slivers- tasted, but no swallow. Then he got big enough to gobble up most of my tetras and, since (spoiled on) tetra he won't take frogs nor even roaches. He won't even sniff the lovely fresh-frozen wahoo slivers. Since the tetras he's gone particularly skittish, too, with an impact-related(?) drop-eye. He won't hang around while food is going on, dashing down & into the plants. During the frogs-phase he'd be right there waiting...

To keep a few tetras (etc) and control feeding/freaking generally I've moved him into another, quieter tank on his own (initially with 3~5 native guppies, now just skuds & snail & plants). He's still skittish but a little less-so, but still not eating & starting to lose more weight than I'm comfortable with. You guys say "Let him get hungry- he'll figure it out" but he doesn't seem to be figuring it out.

Thoughts?

Do I need to add and angle or two in order to illustrate that a lovely sliver of wahoo filet is, in fact, food?
Yes, I am high-dropping the slivers at the surface to make a little splash.
How is an Aro's sense of smell, IE: will he find on the bottom when I'm not there? (or are the snails/skuds gobbling it up?)
Alt, I give up and add more guppies,
and/or more live roaches & coquis to live in the water-lettuce just-in-case?

Thanks,
DrDroid

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would keep trying some floating pellets and some fasting. Silver under 12inches are almost always skittish. Takes a while. Try some floating plants. Would try avoiding live food unless they’re ur own or trust the source to be disease free.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
How long did you not feed him? IMO 3 days without food is nothing to a 6" fish, and I haven't seen these things go longer than a week. So 3 to 6 days hunger would be my move.

BUT I do not keep Aro's & they are known to be particularly stubborn.

I sometimes make my fish hungry just by feeding the other fish in their view, or even the dog, in front of them.

If I run out of live worms, my Oscar will go days without eating his pellets. I'll get a reaction-bite, then he spits them out.
He can eat 10 pea-sized pellets and 6 redworms in a day, no problem, but he can go a long time without food if he wants to.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Would keep trying some floating pellets and some fasting. Silver under 12inches are almost always skittish. Takes a while. . . . .
Also after maybe moving tanks, or certainly the eye injury (any injury really) will make many fish testy for two weeks and more.

I moved a school of Mono Sebae 16 days ago and they are just finally starting to eat normally again. (They normally eat like swimming pigs.) If I don't have the particular food they like best, they will just spit pellets and flakes right back at me.

Reactions: Dee eng and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Also after maybe moving tanks, or certainly the eye injury (any injury really) will make many fish testy for two weeks and more.

I moved a school of Mono Sebae 16 days ago and they are just finally starting to eat normally again. (They normally eat like swimming pigs.) If I don't have the particular food they like best, they will just spit pellets and flakes right back at me.
+1

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
the last time i fed my red aro was about 2 weeks ago... fed a meal of bull frogs....then i went overseas... from then till now on he has refused market prawn ( his normal diet)..... going to try to use this chance to train him on pellets.... but i think he will go back to market prawn since the rest of the fishes are feeding on it

if you are afraid of starving him to death, you can throw a couple of his preferred food.. enough to sustain him but not enough for him to feel full

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
My thoughts exactly, Galantspeedz.
He's getting worryingly slim- tummy's drawn flat, body line distinct along the anal fin. He's hungry & active, but skittish & doesn't seem to remember what's edible. Will offer tree-frogs (Coqui) again tonight, and if not then a guppy tomorrow AM. Damn... I really like the colour of these guppies and am running out. So it goes...

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
My thoughts exactly, Galantspeedz.
He's getting worryingly slim- tummy's drawn flat, body line distinct along the anal fin. He's hungry & active, but skittish & doesn't seem to remember what's edible. Will offer tree-frogs (Coqui) again tonight, and if not then a guppy tomorrow AM. Damn... I really like the colour of these guppies and am running out. So it goes...
could it be the tree frogs are a bit too large for his liking... my aro is about 16 inches and has no problem eating medium size frog but he still prefer small baby frogs

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
This interests me, that a fish with such a capacious maw seems to not actually like (or be able to swallow) larger stuff... and not that much larger, either.

He's started taking frogs again, but only murdered the roaches without swallowing. They were large Carolinas (2.5~3"), so this makes sense.
We're moving house in 2weeks so I'll fatten him up on smaller-stuff favourites for now, in case he goes back to fasting... which he almost certainly will.

Will try dead-fish again next month.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
mine still fasting, he puts pellets in his mouth but spit it out.... now is see whose will stronger :redface:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store