Weight training/Macros/General workouts

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey All,

So I know there are multiple threads on lifting and fitness, but I'd like to hear what everyone is doing in terms of lifting and macro counting. What program are you following, what results are you looking for in your lifting or training, and what are you eating/what are your macros. Do you have any special tricks/food items you are using to get more taste but less calories/carbs/fats?

I am currently on a general lifting program I put together for myself, looking to tone back up and gain some more strength again after back to back knee and ankle injuries.

Monday is back and biceps/heavy cardio

Tuesday is legs/abs and light cardio

Wednesday is chest/tris and heavy cardio

Thursday is shoulders/abs and light cardio

Friday is bis/tris and heavy cardio

Saturday is shoulders/abs and moderate/heavy cardio

sunday is a complete rest day

the cardio will only proceed this heavy until I get back to my weight I want and I can successfully run 2 miles easily in under 12 minutes. after that I'll scale back the light cardio completely and probably one of the heavy days as well. My macros as it stands for 3 weeks will be 100 carbs/45-50 fat/150-200 protein per day.

this will all change in a month or so once I'm back to weight and my lifts are moving forward. I'm hoping to use the body fat I have in place of the carbs to not only lose the weight but also gain strength on all my lifts until I can get back into a more realistic macro set.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hmm. I'm not on the level of monitering all that but whatever.

Diet wise, I'm 15 I eat whatever I want lol. I just try and avoid too much sugar and gorge on protein whenever it's there.

Exercise... I do an +-800 Metre run twice a week or so, I try and do it in 3 minutes or so. Pushups and situps every evening I remember and I'm starting to figure out weights at the gym and split visits, swapping between cardio and weight stuff by visit. I'm also starting to swim at school soon and I have rugby again in april. I picked up 5lbs at least and seem to be muscling up a bit. yay

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hmm. I'm not on the level of monitering all that but whatever.

Diet wise, I'm 15 I eat whatever I want lol. I just try and avoid too much sugar and gorge on protein whenever it's there.

Exercise... I do an +-800 Metre run twice a week or so, I try and do it in 3 minutes or so. Pushups and situps every evening I remember and I'm starting to figure out weights at the gym and split visits, swapping between cardio and weight stuff by visit. I'm also starting to swim at school soon and I have rugby again in april. I picked up 5lbs at least and seem to be muscling up a bit. yay
weight training gets extremely addictive once you start seeing vascularity and muscle mass where you didn't have it before lol. You'll find yourself looking at your arms and legs in the mirror and being like damn...what else can I do to make this better and quicker?! lol

What are your goals with lifting? you are only 15 so you don't need to worry about crazy fitness quite yet haha, but never hurts to get a grasp on it early.

Reactions: jaws7777

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
weight training gets extremely addictive once you start seeing vascularity and muscle mass where you didn't have it before lol. You'll find yourself looking at your arms and legs in the mirror and being like damn...what else can I do to make this better and quicker?! lol

What are your goals with lifting? you are only 15 so you don't need to worry about crazy fitness quite yet haha, but never hurts to get a grasp on it early.
I'm starting to put on that mass lol. especially my thighs and shoulders

I just want to be fit and buff for rugby and general. Not crazy about getting really really big

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm starting to put on that mass lol. especially my thighs and shoulders

I just want to be fit and buff for rugby and general. Not crazy about getting really really big
you need high reps and moderate weight and more cardio then haha. Maybe a little heavy lifting thrown in to keep strength gains lol.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
you need high reps and moderate weight and more cardio then haha. Maybe a little heavy lifting thrown in to keep strength gains lol.
I'm getting there. I am so much fitter than I was this time last year, it's actually scary. I weigh less but I'm much stronger too

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
when it comes to weight lifting, I've tried numerous methods and variations but I've found that training with no more than my body weight gave me the best results, more specifically doing calisthenics...

My cousin is NASM certified and my brother has his BS in Exercise Science (as well as NASM cert) and both agreed that since I play softball 7 nights a week in the spring/summer/fall (sometimes as many as 20 games a week), it made more sense to stick to nothing heavier than my body weight - which helped maintain a better elasticity in my ligaments and felt much better when playing. Heavier weights and more bulk inhibits the swinging/throwing motions. I've ran Test cycles, and done the dieting, and this is still the best shape I've ever been in and the best I've ever felt/looked...

I would do a full body circuit and flip flop between weighted routines and calisthenics-type routines, basically dedicating one day to weighted pull exercises and calisthenics for the push exercises and vice versa:

Monday:
3 pull exercises with weight (no more than what I weighed ~185lbs)
3 push exercises with no weights at all (calisthenics)
end with straight minutes of core
stretch
eat

Tuesday:
3 pull exercises with no weights at all
3 push exercises with weights
stretch
eat

Since I'm training every primary muscle every day, I won't do the same exercise for each muscle more than once a week. There are plenty of different websites out there to gather new exercises and routines from, I try and use them as often as possible when I feel like I have plateaued - but I've gotten the best results from this type of method and frankly I love how simple it is and how quickly I'm in and out of the gym

Would usually do this 4-5 days a week during the offseason, resting on the weekends and usually taking Batting Practice and throwing on Saturdays. Once the season starts, I'm running so much that I usually cut out the cardio at the gym and dumb it down to 2 or 3 days a week just to maintain, but it gets hard after a long weekend of tournaments and the possibility of 5-10 games in a day lol

Truthfully, I'm pound for pound the strongest I've ever been. I may not be able to bench 225 for sets of 10 like I used to, but I am positive I can throw my body weight around for more reps than anyone else I train with

As far as diet goes, I don't have a written meal plan nor do I count micros and macros anymore (even when I did, I kept it very simple...). I just try and eat 4-5 avg sized meals a day, cut out carbs by 2pm, and get lots of veggies. Obviously when I'm in season the dieting is much less strict due to the fact that I play daily and seldom have time to meal prep for the week... so I accidentally end up at the drive-thru once and a while, still can't figure out how I get there though

Reactions: Hendre

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
when it comes to weight lifting, I've tried numerous methods and variations but I've found that training with no more than my body weight gave me the best results, more specifically doing calisthenics...

My cousin is NASM certified and my brother has his BS in Exercise Science (as well as NASM cert) and both agreed that since I play softball 7 nights a week in the spring/summer/fall (sometimes as many as 20 games a week), it made more sense to stick to nothing heavier than my body weight - which helped maintain a better elasticity in my ligaments and felt much better when playing. Heavier weights and more bulk inhibits the swinging/throwing motions. I've ran Test cycles, and done the dieting, and this is still the best shape I've ever been in and the best I've ever felt/looked...

I would do a full body circuit and flip flop between weighted routines and calisthenics-type routines, basically dedicating one day to weighted pull exercises and calisthenics for the push exercises and vice versa:

Monday:
3 pull exercises with weight (no more than what I weighed ~185lbs)
3 push exercises with no weights at all (calisthenics)
stretch
eat

Tuesday:
3 pull exercises with no weights at all
3 push exercises with weights
stretch
eat

Since I'm training every primary muscle every day, I won't do the same exercise for each muscle more than once a week. There are plenty of different websites out there to gather new exercises and routines from, I try and use them as often as possible when I feel like I have plateaued - but I've gotten the best results from this type of method and frankly I love how simple it is and how quickly I'm in and out of the gym

Would usually do this 4-5 days a week during the offseason, resting on the weekends and usually taking Batting Practice and throwing on Saturdays. Once the season starts, I'm running so much that I usually cut out the cardio at the gym and dumb it down to 2 or 3 days a week just to maintain, but it gets hard after a long weekend of tournaments and the possibility of 5-10 games in a day lol

Truthfully, I'm pound for pound the strongest I've ever been. I may not be able to bench 225 for sets of 10 like I used to, but I am positive I can throw my body weight around for more reps than anyone else I train with

As far as diet goes, I don't have a written meal plan nor do I count micros and macros anymore (even when I did, I kept it very simple...). I just try and eat 4-5 avg sized meals a day, cut out carbs by 2pm, and get lots of veggies. Obviously when I'm in season the dieting is much less strict due to the fact that I play daily and seldom have time to meal prep for the week... so I accidentally end up at the drive-thru once and a while, still can't figure out how I get there though
back when I played baseball I did a very similar routine before I got into weight training and gaining mass/strength haha. I try to do more cardio to balance out my weight lifting so I don't lose the flexibility and momentum that comes with gaining size.

Man I wish my body would stay in tune without counting macros...I always lose track if I'm not looking at my app on my phone...horrible haha. No one ever knows how they get to the drive thru, they just know its delicious when they order and eat after months of clean eating hahaha.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I don't track my macros like I probably should but I figure as long as I'm making the gains and the lifts keep increasing I should be fine. I do bcaas, protein shakes, and a few different pre workouts.

Right now I'm lifting 2x a day each in 1 hour increments and I am swimming 2x a day for 3.5 hours total.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store