Weird fin thing happening

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
mannnnn this tank move has been rough.
Background. Got Sarah Pickle Lemon a big girl tank. Took great measures to make sure everything in there stayed cycled (in a way) used old filters paired with new, etc. it worked, water parameters are fine. The silver dollars ended up stressed and with ich so they’re not even in there. It’s Sarah and the gourami. Her lights were super bright. Way brighter than she’s used to. Lights out for a long time wasn’t going to cut it. I didn’t wanna spring for new lights right now, so I made a fool of myself and went to the shop that tinted my car windows and got some 30% tint. Worked great. Also added water lettuce, scape is happening soon, it’ll be much taller. But I just noticed her fins are weird and raggedy. I don’t think there’s nipping happening because gourami is hiding all day. I can’t be 100% though. Help?

243C599E-5B3D-4E48-8BF7-FDCAC89F94B0.jpeg 4A60A9D1-0C26-4EBF-A5EA-6A419B9B645B.jpeg

Reactions: islandguy11

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
This seems to be Fin-Rot. Check the recently added plants, it may be the reason, if not stress causing this. Adding Aquarium Salt and increasing temp can help, in addition to water changes and ensuring the parameters stays good.

The following to read-about (found in an article for Arowana care):

FIN ROT
The symptoms of fin rot begin when the edges of the fins become pale and start to rot. It is caused by bacterial infection of the fins due to poor water quality or by a diseased fish introduced in the tank. When symptoms occur, immediately change the water and provide more aeration to add more air to increase the level of dissolved oxygen in the water. Change the filter element and raise the water temperature gradually - 1 degree over 2 hours. Add salt and commercially available fin rot solutions but follow the dosage carefully. Change 20-30% water daily for 3-6 days.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Common in young aros. They often panic and destroy their fins. I really doubt it's fin rot. Every silver aro I've raised goes through a period of tore up fins from panicking. They eventually calm down some and heal up fine. I had one that used to somehow get it's tail caught in the wave maker. Always tore up. Eventually quite doing that and healed up perfectly.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Home girl ended up covered in Ich. Not ideal. So I did indeed add salt, raise temp, lights out. She still looks throughly pissed off. but the Ich is going away, so like.... she can get over it. I still can't get her to eat, but really, nobody in the tank is eating, everybody is still very stressed out. which is in turn stressing me out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store