Welded stand issue

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
So I picked up a welded stand for a 125 and the short spans are off a few mm on opisite corners, could I just top this thing with a sandwich of plywood/foam/plywood ?

Should I grind it level?

What are my options ?

M1A1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
MN
Twisting forces are the worst for aquariums and that's what opposite corner high/low spots create. If you have the ability to grind it flat then that would be recommended. If I can get the top within a sixteenth of an inch (roughly 1.5mm) then I'm happy, the top plywood will take care of it. You can also use some closed-cell foam weatherstripping or foam tape if it's a glass tank with a rim - the foam will compress to take up any gaps.

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
Its grindable, some closed sell foam between two pieces of marine grade plywood is how I am leaning. Maybe sand out a gap for the pieces that are out of level

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Are you putting a glass or acrylic aquarium on it? For a glass aquarium you need to support the perimeter. For an acrylic aquarium you need to support the entire bottom.

M1A1 is correct, tweaking the aquarium is very detrimental to its structural integrity!

For an acrylic aquarium I would use a piece of sealed 3/4" plywood with a piece of closed cell foam on it. Yoga mats are a popular choice for closed cell foam. I am using a 1/2" thick camping mat from Walmart (~$20) and just put my 180b aquarium directly on top of the mat. (Yoga mats were not long enough).

For a glass tank all the weight is supported by the perimeter so you will want some VERY dense foam or it will just flatten and not provider and leveling support.

(A picture of the stand would be very helpful!)
Most steel stands are going to project the contour of the floor to the top of the stand once the weight of the aquarium and the water is put on them. So if the floor is un-level the stand will just flex to the contour of the floor. You can use this flexibility to your favor by putting a few mm shim under the leg on the low corner to level it.

If you have a heavy duty boxed frame stand it is less likely to flex and a different approach will be needed. I.e. you need to provide more information if you want informed help. :)

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
The legs are sound they are level its the piece running then depth of the stand that is off, it would be hard to get a picture of the issue.

It is a glass tank, I was thinking of the plywood and foam sandwich with foam in the middle to compress and creat a plum surface.

Reactions: DAM
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store