Wels catfish ?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Welcome aboard

If you live in the US the Eels Catfish is illegal to own. Someone asked this same question a few hours ago. Wels Catfish banned in the US no matter the size.
New imports are banned but there still legal to own/sell in 49 states, no crossing state lines that there already in. Federally legal to own across the board. Only Ohio made them illegal to possess on top of the lacey act/import ban. smh...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
New imports are banned but there still legal to own/sell in 49 states, no crossing state lines that there already in. Federally legal to own across the board. Only Ohio made them illegal to possess on top of the lacey act/import ban. smh...
Thanks for letting me know that. I do remember you having a Albino Wels.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Wels already in the country at the time of the ban were grandfathered. That being said, there are other Silurus species that are still legal, though they're so uncommon its unlikely to encounter one in a random lfs. Plenty of sheet cats are still in the hobby however, so seeing something that looks like a wels isn't particularly uncommon.
Grandfathered federally yes..not the case for state laws tho as they can make up whatever they want lol. 100% illegal in Ohio.

Reactions: Chicxulub

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks for letting me know that. I do remember you having a Albino Wels.
Yeah...Senseless to come and kill someones pet bought legally 6 yrs prior. Havent posted a fish picture since... prob never will. U can never know what a state picks and chooses to ban on a whim. All comes down to money and politics sadly.

Akeno071

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2015
Quite heavily restricted in the UK here too. Most likely because Wels are survivors and easily adapt to the local environment to become invasive species.

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Here in sweden we can get them for some periods every year on suppliers lists. I want one but i dont have the space for one right now. My tanks are filled with fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store