West African 55 gallon ideas.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of my favorite west African genera is Stomatepia from Lake Barumbi Mbu in Camaroon.
below S pindu from that lake.

The males can eventually reach 7" , so after a while may outgrow the tank. They are outhbrooers that have cephalic pits on the head region ( the white spots) that allow them to detect prey in the substrate. They are a very active species, although not aggressive with others that look dissimilar, or too big to swallow.

Below S mariae

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Not sure if it’s a west African fish but how about xenomystus nigiri. Hendre Hendre may have some ideas.
Second this. My ABK is one of my favorite fish. Little guy has so much personality and he's very friendly. They can even be kept in groups. They'll tolerate some flow as well, so the AC70 is just fine for filtration.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I like the ABK, not sure if I can find them close to my area. I may move my synodontis angelicus to this tank.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
One of my favorite west African genera is Stomatepia from Lake Barumbi Mbu in Camaroon.
below S pindu from that lake.

The males can eventually reach 7" , so after a while may outgrow the tank. They are outhbrooers that have cephalic pits on the head region ( the white spots) that allow them to detect prey in the substrate. They are a very active species, although not aggressive with others that look dissimilar, or too big to swallow.

Below S mariae

Both of these would be interesting, I may have to do some digging, I haven't seen then at any of my normal cichlid dealers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store