What??? A Responsible Betta Breeder?

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
Well if you do get the female. Its not that hard to breed them. But you have to cover the tank to keep the air above it warm or their labyrinth organ will fill with mucus and they drown. But when they first hatch you dont have to feed for a couple days Then try hikari first bits or egg yolk or insuforia. I have a tub to breed them in and get about 10 from brood. I put in alot of java moss and just let them live as if in a pond then when they get bigger just feed them like any other fish. This way keeps me from having to deliberaty cull the fry.

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
likestofish;3210032; said:
Well if you do get the female. Its not that hard to breed them. But you have to cover the tank to keep the air above it warm or their labyrinth organ will fill with mucus and they drown. But when they first hatch you dont have to feed for a couple days Then try hikari first bits or egg yolk or insuforia. I have a tub to breed them in and get about 10 from brood. I put in alot of java moss and just let them live as if in a pond then when they get bigger just feed them like any other fish. This way keeps me from having to deliberaty cull the fry.

Thanks for the info. I'm starting my research, and need the help. Do you have any filtration of sorts on the tub, aka a sponge filter? Or is there enough plant material in there to keep the water quality good?

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
Breeding...condition the female and male first(takes about 2-3 week). Let them see each other about 10-15 hours a day. Soon the female will be loaded with eggs, when it looks like her stomach is about to break open or if you see eggs falling one by one...she's ready. Make sure you prepare green water(infusoria) as I recommend them if you want the best survival rate out of your betta frys. Egg yolk is too messy and betta first bits will only bring about 1/4-1/2 survival rate as most of them will be looking for mainly something a live and moving to eat. Sponge filter, they do okay but I don't use them. I let the plant take care of that for me. Using a tub is great, but I prefer using an all natural clay pot as they contains minerals that will help the frys grow better and healthier. Well let's say you can put the fry in natural clay pot after 3 weeks. You can start feeding them baby brine after 2 week...but at start i recommened infusoria, and trust me...feed them just before their yolk sack dissappear or else you won't be in time to feed them. Once they starve, they will die like flies. Most of the big breeder in thailand keep them in green water under the sun which commonly help produce infusoria so they won't have to worry about any feeding until 2 week. But overall, telling the truth...trying to breed in the USA comparing to thailand, its not going to be the same. Even though if you use everything the breeder in thailand use. The problem is...water quality. But that doesn't mean you can't breed good quality...just not much compared to thailand. :)

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
Wet Whiskers;3210263; said:
Thanks for the info. I'm starting my research, and need the help. Do you have any filtration of sorts on the tub, aka a sponge filter? Or is there enough plant material in there to keep the water quality good?
For every gallon of water i have like 2 cups of java moss and duckweed. It harbors insuforia well. But i dont have any filtration and just do water changes often. Also the large plant load helps alot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store