Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

What am I working with here folks

Discussion in 'DIY Projects and Ideas' started by coolcomfort, Feb 10, 2019.

1. coolcomfort

coolcomfort Exodon

38 minutes ago

Just bought this new tank. Lfs went out of business so I came through and was trying to buy decent sized breeder tank. There were 2 of these tanks, however, one did not have any dividers. That one got sold, so the one left was this one has 2 glass dividers. I've looked it up and it seems possible to remove the 2 glass dividers. Comes with a chiller (not going to be used, but interesting) and a decent sump. Excuse the goldfish, they said they are moving all their fish and in a couple days i'll be able to come through and take this away.

BichirKing likes this.
    2. BIG-G

BIG-G Goliath Tigerfish

34 minutes ago
      Nice find. What are you going to keep in it?
      If the chiller isn’t going to used you could sell it separately. I’m sure you can find a reefer in the area that may want it.

tlindsey and J. H. like this.
    3. coolcomfort

coolcomfort Exodon

38 minutes ago
      So I will try to share what i'm trying to do, keep in mind this might be lengthy.

[​IMG]
      Here is the same tank I am getting, however, without the dividers and a divided section for the inflow. I would like to make my tank look exactly like this one.
      [​IMG]
      Here is the tank that I will be getting. Notice the black covering on the left, there is a glass divider used to hold the oddly placed intake. In the main part of the aquarium, 2 dividers are used to make 3 different sections. A picture of that is below
      [​IMG]
      And here is a mock up
      [​IMG]

I don't think I will have an issue with removing the 2 glass dividers. However, I am a bit worried about that glass divider for the inflow. Would it be better to keep that? I would much rather have tank space. So theoretically I should be able to remove it and make it look just like the other tank as well?

Here is a video of the intake divider. I was thinking of removing the glass divider then adding a cap to the PVC pipe and poke some holes through it so it can take in water.

Now, I am also interested in removing this:
      [​IMG]
      It is a black covering. I believe it is removable but it appears siliconed to the glass tank. My biggest concern is,

Can I remove the silicone from the glass without scratching the glass? Every video i've seen on removing silicone applied objects from glass involved a razorblade. Doesn't that risk scratching the tank? What's the safest way to avoid this if possible.

Thanks. I will be covering this as I go. One of my first interesting projects.

BichirKing likes this.
    4. Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead Redtail Catfish

Joe roades
      Today at 8:52 AM
      Just use a sharp razor blade to cut the silicone away a little bit at a time from the seam. You shouldnt scratch the glass if you are careful.

coolcomfort likes this.
    5. monkeybike

monkeybike Aimara

Tim
      Yesterday at 8:59 PM
      Keep lobsters in it, fresh lobster anytime. Looks just like a commercial lobster tank with some dividers installed.

I used to service them for some local grocery stores.

coolcomfort likes this.
    6. krichardson

krichardson Bronze Tier VIP

13 minutes ago
      Agreed on the sharp razor blade or a knife with a thin sharp blade....with those,any scratches should be minimal and barely noticeable.

coolcomfort likes this.
    7. BIG-G

BIG-G Goliath Tigerfish

34 minutes ago
      You could just leave the front to back divide and continue to use it as an over flow.
      It would be a little more work but you can also take it out and install a smaller one. Just square it off around the pipe it would keep the overflow intact and open up the front of the tank.
      The other option is to take it out as you suggest but be aware if you do not rework the top of the intake to some kind of Durso or something similar you’re going to hear a constant sucking noise.

BichirKing likes this.
    8. MrsE88

MrsE88 Bronze Tier VIP

Kathryn
      41 minutes ago
      I use razor blades on my glass all the time. If you keep the blade edge level with the glass you want scratch it.

I’d either lever the overflow area alone, or do what @BIG-G@BIG-G suggested and square it off with a smaller one.

aae0130 likes this.
    9. coolcomfort

coolcomfort Exodon

38 minutes ago
      I would like to extend the glass tank to reach it's full size. However, I will be worried about the noise.
      [​IMG]
      Is this what you refer to as a durso?
      I am willing to do this, but is there a way I can just use a normal PVC pipe and have the end of it appear like this:
      [​IMG]
      I'm being a little picky but I'd like do it this for simplicity reasons.

Now that I think about it, I bet that is the reason there's a chiller. What surprises me is that the other tank didn't have a chiller, yet they are both an identical tank.

10. Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead Redtail Catfish

Joe roades
      Today at 8:52 AM
      The durso setup will be a quieter option. The open drain with strainer like you pictured can be loud--gurgling, bubbling, whistling noises even.