What are these worms?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Looks like large planaria to me...

The arrow shaped head is the giveaway...

Last edited:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Never knew they got that large.
Yeah, they can reach quite large sizes... i’ve had large ones like that in my planted tank before and are a real PITA to get rid of...

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Definitely planaria. Not too concerning if your lfs having fish in that tank but they are a big killer if the tank has shrimps. They wiped out my extremely expensive taiwan bees colony in no time. They grow very fast as well and they can be very big. Your lfs need to take it very seriously or else he may have planaria infestation in his store if one of them goes to other tanks with nets or something. There are many ways to kill planaria. Medicines available which are shrimp safe.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Eww, interesting never seen anything like it. Looks like maggots.
They get quite annoying at that large a size as the buggers can move around quite quickly and are impossible to kill without meds...

Reactions: Dee eng

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
They get quite annoying at that large a size as the buggers can move around quite quickly and are impossible to kill without meds...
True. I kept my eye on one when saw for the first time in my tank and tried to caught but no use. It vanished into substrate.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Definitely planaria. Not too concerning if your lfs having fish in that tank but they are a big killer if the tank has shrimps. They wiped out my extremely expensive taiwan bees colony in no time. They grow very fast as well and they can be very big. Your lfs need to take it very seriously or else he may have planaria infestation in his store if one of them goes to other tanks with nets or something. There are many ways to kill planaria. Medicines available which are shrimp safe.
Yup they're in the shrimp tank. I will talk to the owner.

Reactions: Kashif314
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store