What breed?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Anyone good at identifying cat breeds?
I picked up a couple strays from my mom to help keep pests down on the farm. One is a female black and orange mutt. The male I think could be pure bred. But I’m not good at identifying different cat breeds.
To me he looks like a nebelung but it also says they are rare, so..... I’m not sure he is. I’d think being a stray he’d be something more common.

Any guesses?
BE98B14C-DDE0-4BFA-B039-36B1A1634438.png 37BCA8BE-DCC4-4AEE-AD70-0854D5EE4491.png

I brought him in and gave him a bath. I’m still trying to get all the burs out of his fur.

B2A1A76C-21A6-4BC8-96CB-FB3EE4700BF4.jpeg

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
When I did a search on long haired Russian blue cats, nebelung popped up. The Google images for long haired Russian blue all look like your cat.
Russian blue/Himalayan cross? Definitely not crossed with a persian cat :)!

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Same here. That’s why it was the one a mentioned, but seemed odd to end up as a stray I thought.

Yeah no Persian. Lol

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Not that it really matters. He is a complete love bug. The only cat I’ve ever had rub his face on mine. I feel like that’s special. Haha

I’m just sad because my resident cat hates him, and he hates my dogs. I have a boxer and pit. Both are fine with cats, but have high prey drives and will chase anything that runs:/ I’ve been trying to circulate them around the house to get used to each other’s smells.
Oh, and he hates my ferret too. Ugh, wish they would all get along. Lol

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Sounds like he wants to be the only pet. My cat was the only pet in the house. When my husband brought home his yard sale fish tank with the pacu and oscars in it, my cat was devastated. She would come up and cry piteously when we stood in front of the fish tank looking at the fish. We told her she could be our "pacu kitten".

My current cat seemed very lonely, and we got a second indoor cat. Unfortunately, he is almost twice her size and doesn't know his own strength. I can hardly have one-on-one time with my little girl, because as soon as I start talking to her, he comes running from wherever he is. He is quite the copy cat, too. I never knew cats really copy each other until I had two of them.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I can’t say I’ve ever had any cats copy each other.
That’s kinda funny she got all upset about the fish. Cats do have a tendency to want the house to themselves.

I’m happy to say things are going a little better. My husband pointed out to me keeping the cat in the bathroom was making things worse. He was right.
Now that the cat is free to explore he doesn’t hiss at the dogs unless my boxer gets him cornered. I’m working on getting him to ignore the cat.
The basement has been his refuge now. The dogs don’t go down there so it’s a safe zone. But he still comes upstairs regularly, since that’s were food and love is. Haha
He looks a lot better now too after having a bath and getting all the stickers out of his fur.
3E448200-036F-4824-ACD9-01FF45D205D0.png

85869021-BE2D-4ABE-AE8D-B2D17258C945.png

Reactions: pacu mom
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store