What can breed in the same tank as guppies and bristlenose?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have been inspired by one of the auctioneers at the big fish deal's rare fish auction, who said he had multiple 20 gallons with guppies and bristlenose breeding in them, which apparently kept his store afloat
So now I have a 29 with red tail platinum dumbo guppies breeding as well as blue eye lemon bristlenose growing out, and a 20 long with dumbo mosaic guppies breeding and longfin albino bristlenose growing out.
I'm also gonna try to get another 20 long with super red BN's and black moscow guppies
eventually I'm gonna try to get a 40 breeder for some other kind of bristlenose, as well as guppies
I was wondering what else I'd be able to put in there with those if they were both breeding
and preferably the other thing would also be able to breed in the same tank as the guppies and BN's
I've already gone over shrimp- shrimp larvae would get eaten by guppies,
and I thought about ramshorn snails but I also planned on growing plants in there to sell but I don't know how people would like the plants if they were in a tank with snails if you get what i mean
so yeah any suggestions on other fish/inverts that can breed in the same tank as the guppies/bristlenose? i'll be pulling fry to grow out from whatever's in there as well

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Put some egg crate over half the bottom, and breed celestial danios. Be sure to have some live aquatic moss under the egg crate to discourage egg robbers.

Another fish you could potentially breed is a trio of Bettas (1m.2f)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Bettas are good predators, and males, especially breeding males with eggs are nasty, but even the females would rip up guppies. The danios would probably increase fry mortality, and may nip the adults. I would leave it as is. Maybe switch guppies for mollies and add shelldwellers? They might trash the guppies and may even harass the BNs.

Reactions: Matteus

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
so here's the plan i have
, apologies for the crude illustration

most of the points on it were went over already in another form, while i do plan to make some money off of it, it's just to make a little till i'm old enough to get a job/till i get one. i understand i can't really make that much money off of breeding fish unless i go extremely large scale like segrest or the like. i just breed because it's interesting, it's fun to watch the breeding behaviors of the fish i keep, and i can make a bit of money off of it while i'm at it. regardless, this tank will be fun for me, even if i don't end up making any money at all off of it, i'll still have a fun tank to watch. i also only plan on getting this tank after a couple months, or even a year after working with my current breeding projects.

now as for the tank itself-
this will be a 40 breeder, running 2 of those double-sponge sponge filters
i plan on breeding some sort of rarer variety of ancistrus, some sort of red or longfin (or both), as well as some high end or rare guppies, either a more valuable variety or some sort of wild strain like ginga rubra (even if those are endlers i'll still look into them).
one side of the tank, separated by driftwood, will hold substrate, pleco caves, and more driftwood for the ancistrus to hide in.
on the surface, I will be growing red root floaters, only on that side, (separated by a piece of airline tubing or something else to separate it from the other side of the tank) so that it doesn't get interfere with the light distribution to the other side of the tank.
on the other side of the tank, past the driftwood, it will be bare bottomed, and hold a sea of riccia rhenana, and while still very obnoxious, r.rhenana sinks, so that'll be easier to keep on the bottom of the tank. it'll serve as a big nursery for fry i don't end up pulling, or miss. if i end up flooded with riccia, i can just trim it, sell clumps, even give em away, or just toss clippings if i need to.
i'll have more pieces of driftwood on that side, one growing bucephalandra sp."brownie blue", and one with chips of driftwood tied to it, and those chips of driftwood will be growing flame moss (i just thought growing it on chips of driftwood would be easier and more accessible for when i need to pull clumps out)

i also plan to (try and) grow pogostemon helferi on the driftwood that separates the substrate from the riccia. i picked pogostemon helferi because 1, i've wanted it for awhile, 2, it can grow on wood, and 3, it grows/multiplies faster than other things that grow on wood, like anubias or java ferns. yes i do understand bucephalandra grows slow as well but at least that has more value than java ferns or the like, so it's worth it in my eyes. if anyone knows any other plant that grows quickly on wood and has some value to it, let me know, i'm looking for more options for that incase the pogostemon doesn't work out.
in the back of the tank I'll be growing a mesh wall of christmas moss, just something else i thought would be both aesthetic and somewhat profitable, if the moss grows out of hand.
also just a quick question, would angelfish be able to breed in this setup, with hard water and ph around 7.5? along with the factor of the guppies darting around, or would those just get eaten?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Just my personal experience with driftwood, plecos and Xmas moss. The moss will collect the sawdust poop that comes from the plecos and look disgusting. Also, as the moss gets thicker, the bottom part turns blackish-brown and looks ugly. The moss also will grow fast, even under bad conditions, and if given the chance,will fill your tank and strangle all other plants. The moss does have some trading/sale value, especially if you have no snails in the tank. Also, if the BNs are not well fed, and sometimes even if they are, they will eat any plants that have leaves, by chewing away the flat parts of the leaves, and leaving the ribs/veins.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
About the angelfish, they will destroy the guppies, and the BNs, if poorly fed,will eat their skin. They should be fine with 7.5, that's what I have, and if I get good stock, I can keep angels. Never had the breed, though.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I am running a fifty gallon with platies and BN along with shrimp, snails and two plants. The plants turn out more than the fish in store credits. I encourage you to take advantage of whatever space you have to produce plants along with the fish and consider trying some shrimp too. In a few months you will be glad you did. Also don`t spend too much of fancy varieties of fish. Focus on mass producing what you have and upgrade as you trade-in your production.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
You should also try mystery snails. I have sold many in the last year and it seems like people can never have too many lol $1-2 each depending on size.

The lfs are selling for $4 each

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store