What can me housed with a flowerhorn?

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
My auntie has a 8” flowerhorn that was with 4 Oscars a couple inches bigger then the flowerhorn. The flowerhorn bullied the oscars and killed one. She moved him to his own tank but was wondering what could she put with him. I never had one so I’m not sure. Can someone help please?

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
All based on tank size, if she has a large enough tank/footprint. Flowerhorn can live with big CA cichlids, looks weird to me. I keep mine with blood parrots, convicts and a lone Polit.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How big is the tank?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
How big is the tank?
Agree, this would be the #1 defining factor in what all OP could "potentially" add in as a tank mates of sorts. If it's on the small end like a 55g I would recommend either a striped rapheal catfish or some nerite snails, or if it's on the larger end like a 200g I would then recommend either a school of mascara Barb's or maybe even a couple more cichlids such as a convict or a salvinni. Also another option, if your not against occasionally buying more fish, you could add in a big school of zebra fabio's, just know that they will slowly get eaten up so you would need to occasionally buy more.

Just realize tho that when I say potential tank mates that's just me saying that these might work for you but there's also an equally good chance that everything could go horribly wrong as well. Flowerhorns are not nice fish most of the time and generally do best by themselves.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have seen pleco, blood parrots, tin foil barb, mbunas work. But that's rare and mostly nothing works. My fish beats everything that moves.
Just to add. I tried parrots, plecos, silver dollars and nothing yet worked for me.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Just to add. I tried parrots, plecos, silver dollars and nothing yet worked for me.
Yeah sadly that's the case with most FH's. That's why I would mainly go with species that are either fast enough to escape or tough enough to handle the abuse. Also I find that having something that's nocturnal can also work just due to both fish being active during different times.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store