What causes hole on flagtail nose?

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I've owned 2. One was 15" and had a small white hole right above their lip. Many have this feature if u pay attention. I have a 11" flagtail currently and it does not have the white pin hole at the nose. Curious what causes This? From what ive seen in person and photos. It's a common trait when they get larger imo. What is it?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
My big guy has been doing this too. I am starting to think he might do better in a bigger tank.

He will be 2-3” away from the glass then just slam straight into the wall and I hear a thump. I look up from my phone and a big cloud of sand kicked up behind him and just a big smile on its face.

• Wow
Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
My big guy has been doing this too. I am starting to think he might do better in a bigger tank.

He will be 2-3” away from the glass then just slam straight into the wall and I hear a thump. I look up from my phone and a big cloud of sand kicked up behind him and just a big smile on its face.
Is he attacking his reflection? If my FT isn't eating/cleaning he's fighting his reflection -- but he never slams into the glass and never jumps up and hits the lid that I've ever seen (and I have a near constant view of his tank right).

He also has that little opening above his mouth, but I don't know what it's for, good question -- maybe because they're constantly feeding it's just another way to keep water flowing into their mouths while suction feeding?? Lol just a wild guess.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I’m pretty sure the hole is from friction or contact with the glass.

Attacking his reflection makes sense now that you mention it. It kind of reassured me that all of them seem to have it, not just mine. He seems super happy even with the little hole. I just keep my water clean and add salt here and there, but it doesn’t seem to really heal up tho.

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store