What Gar is this?

Ohlins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
Hi guys, I'm thinking on purchasing this Gar and would love if the community can ID it.
Its around 6-7inches how much is it worth?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
gator gar, not a good casual hobby fish in the least.

Can easily grow to 4-5 feet long with no issues, they top out around 6.5-7 feet in the wild. Will kill anything it shares a tank with, sometimes to eat it, other times for what seems like fun.

Don't purchase it unless you have several thousand gallons of spare tank lying around.

Reactions: Ohlins

Ohlins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
oh..? i was told it was platinum spotted florida gar that doesn't grow as big as an alligator gar... hmmm...

Ohlins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
gator gar, not a good casual hobby fish in the least.

Can easily grow to 4-5 feet long with no issues, they top out around 6.5-7 feet in the wild. Will kill anything it shares a tank with, sometimes to eat it, other times for what seems like fun.

Don't purchase it unless you have several thousand gallons of spare tank lying around.

maybe this video is clearer, is it just an alligator gar?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
oh..? i was told it was platinum spotted florida gar that doesn't grow as big as an alligator gar... hmmm...
its a plat gator gar. not even remotely close to a florida gar.

they go for big money but again I wouldn't buy it, you won't be able to house it in anything less than a lake lol.

Reactions: Ohlins and kno4te

Ohlins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
its a plat gator gar. not even remotely close to a florida gar.

they go for big money but again I wouldn't buy it, you won't be able to house it in anything less than a lake lol.
oh my... a lake... i guess i'll be better sticking to arowanas?

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Looks like just a regular washed out gator gar. It's housed in all white surroundings. Which is a method used to WTT (White Tank Treated) to get that white/plat look. I could be wrong and others may chime in.

Reactions: Hao

Ohlins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
Looks like just a regular washed out gator gar. It's housed in all white surroundings. Which is a method used to WTT (White Tank Treated) to get that white/plat look. I could be wrong and others may chime in.
isn't platinum gars a type of condition which is not affected by environment or surroundings..?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
isn't platinum gars a type of condition which is not affected by environment or surroundings..?
They are bred to be true platinum and the background won't influence them.

There are fish places in white tanks and try to get them to lighten up. Then sold for high prices. Once in a regular tank it won't hold its plantinum color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store