What is the difference of Longnose,Florida and spotted Gar.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Hello everybody,

I'm about to buy a Gar for my 270 gallon pond. I was thinking of buying a spotted or Florida Gar but in the internet I got mixed up with another species called the longnose Gar when I was searching about the Florida Gar. Are they the same species? And could you tell me the difference between the longnose Gar,Florida Gar (if they are different species) and the spotted Gar and how to identify each of them, and each of their maximum size in feet?

Reactions: clm08k

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everybody,

I'm about to buy a Gar for my 270 gallon pond. I was thinking of buying a spotted or Florida Gar but in the internet I got mixed up with another species called the longnose Gar when I was searching about the Florida Gar. Are they the same species? And could you tell me the difference between the longnose Gar,Florida Gar (if they are different species) and the spotted Gar and how to identify each of them, and each of their maximum size in feet?
Maybe this may helphttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/the-gar-pictorial-id-guide.410396/

Reactions: RTC probe 3

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Thanks! That was very helpful. But there was no info on spotted gars right?
:confused:
Some more replies would be appreciated.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Spotted and Floridas are hard to tell apart. The one thing is ganoid scales under the neck area.

Long nose get much bigger and their mouths are longer and thinner compared to Florida’s/spotted.

Spotted and Florida’s can get 2.5ft. Kept well and a long time.

Long nose can likely get 3ft. Kept well and a long time.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
My pond is around 10 feet long, so no worries on keeping any of those three. But still,I'll stick to the ones that are smaller anyway (spotted and Florida) so that they would live quite comfortably.
Thanks a lot .....

And is it ok If I feed them some raw meat or perhaps prawns?

And I saw in the internet that you could feed juveniles fish food pellets. Is this true?

And another important question. Do gars suffer from over feeding? One red tail catfish I brought died due to over feeding(mistakenly).

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My pond is around 10 feet long, so no worries on keeping any of those three. But still,I'll stick to the ones that are smaller anyway (spotted and Florida) so that they would live quite comfortably.
Thanks a lot .....

And I saw in the internet that you could feed juveniles fish food pellets. Is this true?

And another important question. Do gars suffer from over feeding? One red tail catfish I brought died due to over feeding(mistakenly).

Yes thawed fish such as Tilapia will be fine and yes juvenile gar can learn to accept pellet food.

Reactions: clm08k

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks a lot .....

You can feed cut up raw fish and prawns. No prob. No terrestrial animals. No live feeders unless u have to.

Yea if u can get them to take pellets. Good start for young gars.

Gars can get overfed. So maybe every other day feeding. Make sure not to feed if the belly is still full. Aquarium version of intermittent fasting lol.

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store