what is the gender of my flowerhorn?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Looks like a male to me. I’ve kept a few before and I believe makes don’t have the backing stripe in their dorsal fin. Great looking fish! Hopefully someone else can validate me.

fish buyer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2020
Looks like a male to me. I’ve kept a few before and I believe makes don’t have the ba
Looks like a male to me. I’ve kept a few before and I believe makes don’t have the backing stripe in their dorsal fin. Great looking fish! Hopefully someone else can validate me.
I have a question what breed is it?

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Gorgeous fish!

Agree with Rayfishowner that he's a male. He is showing his breeding tube in some of the pics.

He looks like a Super Red Dragon (SRD) kamfa cross, with his body looking SRD, but his head profile looking kamfa. I think he could be labeled a kamfa, but it's a grey area.

fish buyer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2020
Gorgeous fish!

Agree with Rayfishowner that he's a male. He is showing his breeding tube in some of the pics.

He looks like a Super Red Dragon (SRD) kamfa cross, with his body looking SRD, but his head profile looking kamfa. I think he could be labeled a kamfa, but it's a grey area.
thx

fish buyer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2020
Gorgeous fish!

any way i can increase the hump?

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Kamfas don't tend to get as large of humps/koks as the ZZ/SRD flowerhorns, so it will probably not get as softball sized as some of the ones you see due to the vieja influence in kamfas. There might be other FH enthusiasts who can give you some tips. I think much of it is genetic though.

The other thing that points to your fish being a kamfa is the relatively square body shape like a vieja. SRDs usually have more of a taper towards their tail, which in combination with their huge humps, gives their bodies a triangle shape. The markings and color are typical SRD though. One last thing is that kamfas often have fuller fins, which your fish seems to have. SRDs have relatively narrower and longer fins. I'd like to see a full pic of your fish showing all its fins. It looks amazing from what I can see.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'd agree that's it's probably a male kamfa x ZZ cross. Also if your looking to help increase kok size there are 3 main keys.
1. Clean water.
2. Good quality food.
3. Aggression.
The best way to work with the aggression part is to use a mirror for 20 mins after feeding. Don't use the mirror before feeding as this can cause some problems such as skittishness and refusal of food. If you use the mirror after feeding however your helping to bolster the FH's territorial response thus making him more aggressive. Generally the more aggressive a FH is the bigger his kok will grow but as said before genetics are the main limiting factor for potential growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store