What is the result of red devil/ flower horn ?

RA'AM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2018
Hello everyone. My male Red Devil and female Flowerhorn red dragon might have made fry. What would they look like ? Is there already a fish breed of this type? What would this hybrid be called? Thank you

20190313_164532.jpg

20190312_201325.jpg

Screenshot_20190311-154820_Video Player.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The result is flowerhorns which will probably be a bit more red/orange. Flowerhorns are already hybrids. Won't be worth anything to sell; FH people want specific traits which will probably not be brought out with the cross to a simple midas. Distributing them at all is not the greatest idea IMO, will just muddy the waters further. I'd keep them for your own enjoyment only, or just feed them to other fish.

Reactions: Man-made Monsters

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Gourami Swami, and to add....
normally about 80% of the spawn will be indistinct mutts (kind of similar to when two different dog breeds mate, most pups revert to an almost generic base dog)
10% will be severely mutant, and should be culled as soon as noticed (curved spines, screwed up mouths, etc), and another 10% may actually be colorful and appealing.
But in order to find out which are appealing, you will need to grow them out until about at least 3" to 4" , when those appealing traits first begin to appear.
Then only allowing the best out, if not (as GS said) you will be contributing to the mass of unidentifiable cichlids we see by many confused posters put up these days.
The best use for the culls and drab mutts would be as feeders, for your, or a friends gar, turtle, large Parachromis, or some other predator .

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I am a flowerhorn guy and I agree with the two posts above me. Your male red devil is awesome looking. Your female is a very generic ZZ Flowerhorn of lower quality. A few babies could end up with really nice coloration, pearls, and possibly even a nice sized head. Unfortunately most of the babies will not be anything people, like me, are looking for. When it comes to flowerhorns, some times you can see which ones are going to develop into something really nice at under an inch in size. But like the other posters have said often times you need for them to reach a size of 2-3 inches before you see which ones will show desirable traits for a flowerhorn.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I agree with the 3 previous responses. Likely to get very, very few cool fish and by the time you will be able to pick them out from the duds they will be at least 3". At 1" they will be killing each other at a steady rate so they will needs lots of growout room. It really is generally not worth growing out the spawn unless you have room and a heart of steel to cull the larger ugly fish.
A single hybrid breeding doesn't make a fish variety or breed type.

RA'AM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2018
Thanx for your responses very informative. The eggs didnt hatch. But I have since then successfully breeded SRT. AND HAVE KEPT YHE desirable ines woth most ptomise. Im not trying to pair a RQ with an Srt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store