What is this pimple

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I was given this by a friend about a year ago when he decided not to rear fish.

The first 3 days I got him, the flowerhorn developed severe duck lip. Managed to cure him after 1-2 months.

Yesterday I noticed his lips getting swollen and saw 2 pimple or blister on his lips and not eating.

Rest of tank (African cichlids) are fine.

What does this look like?

I already quarantined the guy and added metro. Same medicine that I used previously on him with frequent water changes.

20190514_215705.jpg

20190514_215653.jpg

20190514_215446.jpg

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Tank temp? I'm thinking duck lips. Again.
duanes duanes

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Tank temp? I'm thinking duck lips. Again.
duanes duanes
I have no thermometer but my country is 32 to 33 degree Celsius the whole year.

I guess its duck lips too but this time there is blister

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
What country are you in? That is very warm. From what I have read this bacteria is very virulent above 82F.
Duanes or RD may chime in.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
What country are you in? That is very warm. From what I have read this bacteria is very virulent above 82F.
Duanes or RD may chime in.
I am in Singapore, tropical country. And my tanks are all outdoor

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I am in Singapore, tropical country. And my tanks are all outdoor
That make sense. Had a brother who lived there for a bit. From some stuff I read there can be puss associated with duck lips. Duanes posted how he disinfected a tank (with fish in it) where one fish was removed with duck lips.
It's gotta be difficult when you live in this warm of environment. I keep my tank just below 80F because of this type of disease stuff (oscars, pbass).
On the upside you don't need to worry about heaters going bad and cooking the tank, but with your weather it can warm too much. Islandguy who I believe lives in Thailand cools the tanks with fans.
Good luck.

Reactions: islandguy11

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Haha yes has pro and cons..... Thailand has cool weather too later end of year but when it gets hot.... it gets very hot too

I did not see same signs on the rest of the fish thus I did not disinfect the tank.... i have no space for the rest of the cichlids too sadly.... in fact just this year, I had a cichlid breed 3 times....so i just keep up on WC and salt once a while... now testing spriulina powder to see if it can help them

Reactions: islandguy11

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Duck lips, seems to take on many forms. The bacteria can form white fungal like columns (it is often mistaken for fungus in that form), hence the species name (columnaris), and can also manifest as fungal lesions on the dorsal (sometimes called saddleback disease) or the obvious and acute atrophy of jaw area called duck lips (AKA flower horn disease).
It is very hard to eradicate, because some of the bacteria can go dormant unaffected by medications, sitting in thin layer of damp or dried mud, dirt stain, or detritus.
After having it enter my tanks on an infected fish, and fighting it for a lengthy period, where it wiped out the quarantine tank of that fish. I prefer to euthanize any infected fish and use bleach to sanitize anything that fish, or its water came into contact with rather than chance it spreading to other tanks.
Dormant cysts have the ability to rehydrate after being dry for months and slowly and invisibly start the infection all over again, unnoticed, and if the aquarist is not careful infect an entire fish room.
It is also possible that the random use of antibiotics in FH and other fish farms, has helped produce super bugs of antibiotic resistant columnaris strains.
If that was my fish, it would have been euthanized months ago.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Duck lips, seems to take on many forms. The bacteria can form white fungal like columns (it is often mistaken for fungus in that form), hence the species name (columnaris), and can also manifest as fungal lesions on the dorsal (sometimes called saddleback disease) or the obvious and acute atrophy of jaw area called duck lips (AKA flower horn disease).
It is very hard to eradicate, because some of the bacteria can go dormant unaffected by medications, sitting in thin layer of damp or dried mud, dirt stain, or detritus.
After having it enter my tanks on an infected fish, and fighting it for a lengthy period, where it wiped out the quarantine tank of that fish. I prefer to euthanize any infected fish and use bleach to sanitize anything that fish, or its water came into contact with rather than chance it spreading to other tanks.
Dormant cysts have the ability to rehydrate after being dry for months and slowly and invisibly start the infection all over again, unnoticed, and if the aquarist is not careful infect an entire fish room.
It is also possible that the random use of antibiotics in FH and other fish farms, has helped produce super bugs of antibiotic resistant columnaris strains.
Sounds like good advice. All this stuff about FH's I read makes me glad I never got into them.

Reactions: philipraposo1982

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I understand and appreciate the advise but I really dislike playing God. Will let it go if I really need to but not when it still has a fighting chance

Sadly I have no way to clean out the whole tank as I do not have another big tank to accommodate the other fish

Really appreciate the advise though....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store