What is this pimple

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I understand and appreciate the advise but I really dislike playing God. Will let it go if I really need to but not when it still has a fighting chance

Sadly I have no way to clean out the whole tank as I do not have another big tank to accommodate the other fish

Really appreciate the advise though....
It's such a bad disease. Duanes in pretty clinical. To me he is the Mr. Spock of MFK. :y220d:

Reactions: Zanzag and Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since there are other fish in the tank, they may also now also be carriers, whether they show symptoms now, or not (I thought it was in quarantine), so euthanasia may be moot..
I would also bleach that net.
For me, euthanasia is a question of that one fish, compared the the health or death of the entire system.

Reactions: LBDave

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yes when I noticed the duck lips, it was in a tank with 30-40 other fishes like featherfin catfish, frontosa, clown loaches and other African cichilds... yeah I know a mix bag of fishes

Now I removed it to out it in a tank by itself

I am letting the net dry out in the hot sun for a few days... maybe I will just throw the net away.... should be cheaper than buying bleach

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
That make sense. Had a brother who lived there for a bit. From some stuff I read there can be puss associated with duck lips. Duanes posted how he disinfected a tank (with fish in it) where one fish was removed with duck lips.
It's gotta be difficult when you live in this warm of environment. I keep my tank just below 80F because of this type of disease stuff (oscars, pbass).
On the upside you don't need to worry about heaters going bad and cooking the tank, but with your weather it can warm too much. Islandguy who I believe lives in Thailand cools the tanks with fans.
Good luck.
I cool my axolotl tank with a fan too

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I found this thread that might help you

I don't have any experience with this disease myself, but I looked it up and have heard people say Kanamycin works well, as does swabbing the fish's lips with mercurochrome. A lot of people also say they put their fish in a salt bath/dip and that they have melafix and metronidazole in there, too. I don't know how well any of these would work, but these are just some options to look into

Last edited:

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I found this thread that might help you

I don't have any experience with this disease myself, but I looked it up and have heard people say Kanamycin works well, as does swabbing the fish's lips with mercurochrome. A lot of people also say they put their fish in a salt bath/dip and that they have melafix and metronidazole in there, too. I don't know how well any of these would work, but these are just some options to look into
Thanks... i am trying with metro first as that was what helped previously

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
After 2 weeks, he has started eating for past few days in QT

Initially all I used was metro, his lip reduced in swelling and seems more active but the past 5 days or so, I noticed he remained dark and slime coat was peeling, wanted buy furan 2 but decided against it

Then I remembered I was given some salt, brand sunsun, when I purchased some items from China.

I dropped in 4 and next day slime coat was ok, color also came back and started eating. Dose the salt for 2 more days and now back in original tank none the worse for wear except the pimple at the front.

Decided dose the salt and metro in the big tank today and will observe tomorrow again

And the moment he was back in the tank, he started hanging out with his gf

20190529_222558.jpg

20190529_222555.jpg

20190529_222549.jpg

20190529_222354.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I've fortunately never experienced this disease with any fish, but I've heard Zedrix Sword can be quite effective in treating Duck Lips. If you follow the YouTube link there are links to find this med in the video's description. After watching this video some time ago I got a satchel of Zedrix (from a shop at Chatuchak) to have on standby just in case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store