What is this?

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I;ll have to get a better pic.... He is almost round. I looked at both of them and he looks similar to the quadromaculatus but he is rounder.

Thanks for the help.

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
As much as the "fish farms" are mass producing fish with out being selective about what spawns with eath other, it very easily could be a cross of some sort. I have ordered in several africans in the last few months and recieved fish that look "funny" to me.

I have Albino D. compressiceps but their heads and mouth are short & rounded, still neat but wrong body shape. I have a group of Deep water Hap. electra that are about 2" or so, there is a dominate male that is the brightest metallic blue I've ever seen. Very cool except they should be 4 + inches before showing that nice of color. I have some Fuscenteniatus that look like a mixture of Livingstoni/ polystigma/fuscenteniatus.

All of these fish are cool but they are not as they are supposed to be. Does any one remember when Red Zebra were bright orange females with blue males? Or when you could tell the differance between Eletric blue Johani and chipokae? How about S. Ahli? (eletric blue) I've been seeing those at 1" long fully colored up.

I have seen and owned some beautiful african cichlids but many of them were not a legitament specie.

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
repair said:
I got 2 of these a year ago but they didn't know what it was and now it has gotten 4" and is showing color.

Any Ideas before I spend hours in the aqua logs.

He is rounder then he looks.
It looks like a HAPLOCHROMIS SIMILIS.It's definitely in the haplochromis family.

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
There's no doubt that what you have there is a Copadichromis borleyi. Did it have yellow fins before it colored up? If it did then you can be assured that this is what this fish is as that is unique to this species.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
heres a pic from aquahobby.com, i believe it is a juvenille Copadichromis borleyi. did yours look like this when younger?

untitled.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store