What is your favorite or on your wish list SA/CA cichlid

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
There are a lot of things I would like to do/keep.

More peaceful tank: Community built around a showpiece Carpintis pair (from any of the collection points as long as they look amazing), pair of rokteil severums, some high quality HRPs, and probably a school of roseline barbs as dithers.

Solo/Species tank goals:

Black Nasty
Dovii
Umbee
Red Terror (pair)

I'd probably like to own an argentae at some point as well.

As far as a real dream fish though, that would have to be a xanthic jag.

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Just curious what everyone's favorite cichlid is and why? Or what is on your wish list for the future. Would like to hear peoples experiences with types of cichlids or funny stories they have had over the years with their fish.
Favorite: was obsessed with dwarf Crenicichla for a long while. Why? They're little bad assess cruising the tank with such a cool shape and eyes that light you up! Kept C.regani in a 60 long and they loved it.
Wish list: Thorichthys ellioti for now. Why? They're gorgeous, docile, good parents--and Ive never kept them.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I currently have my dream fish but are just juvies right now. They are the vieja melanura Rio sarstun strain. I acquired them form Don Conkel who also provided these same fish to Lee Nuttal a while back. Here's a pic of a pair he developed when growing his out. My dream would be to have a beautiful pair of these fish along with somehow a nice adult Argentea and black belt to coexist in my 300 gallon together. Haha it's definitely a far shot but we shall see. Currently growing the rio sarstun out with juvie Argentea and a black belt and two lake peten melanura. Love the lake peten but don't top the rio sarstun IMO.

DSC_4588l-1.jpg

tyson5711

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2016
For a long time I've been obsessed with Sajica cichlids. The fish hobby isn't very popular around me unless you are into reefs so outside of the super common cichlids, it can be next to impossible to find some of the less common fish unless you want to drop major money for shipping. I was finally able to score 8 sajica fry off of aquabid a couple of months back and I'm growing those in a 55 right now

I'm relatively new to the hobby (a little over 2 years) so I still have a ton of fish I haven't had the pleasure of keeping. So dream fish would include Gold Saums, a healthy EB Jack Dempsey, some of the Vieja's (specifically the melenurus), and the heckelii. Mostly common fish but just don't have the room or resources to keep them all....yet :)

Reactions: Wiggie

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
For a long time I've been obsessed with Sajica cichlids. The fish hobby isn't very popular around me unless you are into reefs so outside of the super common cichlids, it can be next to impossible to find some of the less common fish unless you want to drop major money for shipping. I was finally able to score 8 sajica fry off of aquabid a couple of months back and I'm growing those in a 55 right now

I'm relatively new to the hobby (a little over 2 years) so I still have a ton of fish I haven't had the pleasure of keeping. So dream fish would include Gold Saums, a healthy EB Jack Dempsey, some of the Vieja's (specifically the melenurus), and the heckelii. Mostly common fish but just don't have the room or resources to keep them all....yet :)
I love keeping the sajica I have. A lot of personality, great colors, and perfect amount of attitude. I was thinking of selling a few I have but am now having second thoughts.

Reactions: tyson5711

tyson5711

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2016
Yeah. The 8 little guys/girls I have are a lot of fun. Hoping I get a couple nice males to start a breeding project with.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Would love to add a pair of Petenia Splendida (wild morph) to my biffa's just don't think my tank is big enough for a potential 18 inch fish.

Reactions: mrrobxc

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
There are a lot of things I would like to do/keep.

More peaceful tank: Community built around a showpiece Carpintis pair (from any of the collection points as long as they look amazing), pair of rokteil severums, some high quality HRPs, and probably a school of roseline barbs as dithers.

Solo/Species tank goals:

Black Nasty
Dovii
Umbee
Red Terror (pair)

I'd probably like to own an argentae at some point as well.

As far as a real dream fish though, that would have to be a xanthic jag.

One of them now!-)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Would love a large beanie one day. And a hoga amph

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Caquetaia spectabilis is the fish I am currently eyeing. F0 astronotus orbiculatus and zebra tigrinis are some others I would like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store