what little/weird things spark breeding in your fish?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
for me the (in my opinion) unusual things to induce breeding in my fish are
(for aphyosemion australe) feeding frozen food and then doing a waterchange.
(for amatitlania nanolutea) traumatizing them. either redoing the tank with them in it or moving them to another tank has caused them to spawn.
(for black skirt tetras) turning a powerhead on for the first time in their tank. I know black skirts aren't the hardest to breed but I thought it was pretty neat that they started spewing eggs all over the tank as soon as I put a powerhead in there. I don't have them anymore and the eggs never hatched of course but it was still pretty neat.
my elassoma get excited whenever I refill their tank with a watering can, I guess they think it's rain.
that's about it, what interesting things have you guys done to get things to breed?

Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Not actual breeding but attaining 'breeding coloration' and 'courtship behaviors' (sometimes with spawning and breeding by some) -
A large water change usually elicits the above changes in my 4 tanks (silver dollars, rainbows, cories, South American characins)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I accidentally bred goldfish a while ago, not sure what I did that sparked it though.
Otherwise I’ve only bred kribs and a bp x convict pair (no fry yet). Water changes seem to get them wanting to breed.

Pterophyllum sp

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
Food. High quality frozen, and all the live you can find works for 90% of the fish I play with. The other 10% require some temperature and pH swings in addition to the food to get in the mood.

Reactions: Deadeye

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i hope my tetras breed
there are lots of hiding places and im going to buy multivitamins for them as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store